Online/virtual/e-learning specialties from SSI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sandanbob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi!

I have done the SSI Marine Ecology and Science of Diving specialties online (one this year, one last year) and was wondering what other specialty classes SSI has that are academic, not requiring dives. I am looking at something to do this winter to keep my mind active, even if I can't go diving.

Thanks!

Bob

nitrox would be the first that comes to mind

Thank you, Rick. I have Nitrox and Equipment specialties, through PADI. Any others?

Edit: I have found some ecology based classes- Sharks, Mantas and Rays, Coral, Sea Turtles... so, there does seem to be some options.

Thank you, Rick. I have Nitrox and Equipment specialties, through PADI. Any others?

Edit: I have found some ecology based classes- Sharks, Mantas and Rays, Coral, Sea Turtles... so, there does seem to be some options.

There are two new Ecology classes coming out soon, Marine Mammals and Marine Invertebrates. They should be available after DEMA.

curious what's involved in getting these specialties ?

On-line course material and classroom/seminar.
This. When I can't dive this winter, I can keep my mind active.

There is a second reason, as well. I need one more SSI specialty in order to receive my Master Scuba Diver through SSI. My initial question was specific to SSI for that reason. I would be interested in online/virtual classes from other agencies, as well, but will probably do one of these first. Maybe I'll start a thread in another subforum.

I know that RAID allows you to read/download their manuals, and take some basic quizzes, but when I inquired about a full course done online, they responded that they didn't have any that met that criteria.

There are sea turtle and shark ecology courses. I believe they recently added manta and ray ecology.

There is a second reason, as well. I need one more SSI specialty in order to receive my Master Scuba Diver through SSI. My initial question was specific to SSI for that reason. I would be interested in online/virtual classes from other agencies, as well, but will probably do one of these first. Maybe I'll start a thread in another subforum.

1. The Essentials of Human Factors in Diving - please refer Essentials of Human Factors in Diving
  2. PADI Dive Theory - please refer Dive Theory | PADI (please note that this is similar to the SSI Science of Diving course)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom