Question Only Instructor wears dive computer (extra charge if I want one)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree, but $50 for one day is a lot of $.

In the long run it's cheaper to buy one if you are planning to continue to dive.
My logic is if you rented one for a week you’ve actually bought the damn thing at that price 😱, bit extortionate… after all it isn’t going to be a high end shearwater is it?

We can certainly argue that the rental price is exorbitant, and it is. However, as a newish diver, the OP needs to realize that as a certified diver, they are responsible for their gear. They either need to own it or rent it, but it is their responsibility to ensure they have what they need for the dives. No one is going to let them use gear for free. This isn't an open water course. If they want to use a computer, either rent one or buy one. If they don't like the rental price from the dive center they've selected for training, they can either pick a different dive center, see if they can rent one from another source, or buy an entry-level computer.

I find the combination of information AOW and not dived outside courses undesirable. IMO you need to practice before going to next level.

While I don't find it recommendable (and I don't do it), I must admit that doing shallow dives (says up to 60ft/20m) with one computer per group is done too often to be qualified as abnormal. Deeper, I'd strongly recommend against the practice.

Having to rent equipment you don't own seems totally normal but details may depend on local customs and context.

50$ for a computer for half a day is abnormally expensive.

Welcome to the forum. I'm going to buck the trend here. Simply use your analog instruments and the dive table.

You have not yet dived outside of class, so I can understand any trepidation going on your first dive without the instructor "safety net". Since your dives to this point have been in a class and with shop equipment, I am going to assume that you have not done any dives using only a bottom timer, depth gauge, and the dive table.

If you do not feel comfortable with using the dive table and analog instruments, then you will need to come to grips with either becoming comfortable with them or renting/purchasing a computer. As previously stated, $50 USD is quite high for a computer rental.

Ask the operator for the dive profile (including surface intervals) and review your tables, then make an informed decision on whether to just dive the analog gauges or rent a computer.

if you don't want to buy a computer (and who would want to pay $50 per day to rent one) get a dive watch and use your tables.

I think those things worked for like 100 years before the DC was invented.

$50 a day is way too much.

Whether you should use a computer or not will depend on the dive profiles. It's entirely possible you can do those dives with tables, but without knowing the details, none of us can tell for certain. Relying on the DM or guide's computer is not a good practice.

That said, renting a computer you likely don't know how to use is not a whole lot better than no computer at all. Save the $50/day and get your own computer. At least then, there is a chance you'll know how to use it.

OP, here's a good cautionary tale. If you end up renting a computer, be sure that you learn to use it. An improperly used dive computer is not going to be better (and may be worse) than staying on the conservative side of your dive tables and analog gauges.

Welcome to the forum. I'm going to buck the trend here. Simply use your analog instruments and the dive table.
If the dive guide leads the group on a multilevel dive, then the tables will not work. I discovered that myself on my first dives after certification. The other divers looking at me in amusement told me my tables would make a decent Frisbee. That was in the last millennium, and it remains the one and only time I have seen divers attempt to use tables outside of training.

I bought a computer as soon as I got home.

if you don't want to buy a computer (and who would want to pay $50 per day to rent one) get a dive watch and use your tables.

I think those things worked for like 100 years before the DC was invented.
If they are recently certified, there is a very good chance they have never seen or used tables. They aren't taught in most Open Water courses these days.

If they are recently certified, there is a very good chance they have never seen or used tables. They aren't taught in most Open Water courses these days.
wait. seriously? that's really a shame.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom