Question Only Instructor wears dive computer (extra charge if I want one)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi there, for some perspective I am quite new to diving and finished my advanced Open Water Diver in December.
I am now on vacation and wanted to do a wreck dive, but the dive Center I wanted to do it with charges 50$ extra If I want a dive computer.
It’s 2 tank dive with one to the wreck and one to a reef.
I haven’t done a dive without it being a lesson yet and I wondered If it’s normal and If I’ll be fine without a computer.
Thanks in Advance for your answers!
they ask you pay 50$ to rent a computer per day ?

Since you are just starting. And if you don't want to spend the money at the moment.
Learn and use gauges and a timer and tables. It has worked for a long time.
Problem is unless you have a guage and timer already. You might as well buy a computer...

The other way will be more controversial is stay higher or same depth as your instructor, and never deeper or longer than him, also a nice long safety stop.....
It will me more of a trust me dive.. and not really recommended..

wait. seriously? that's really a shame.
An argument can be made the other way as well. I was originally taught using tables. It's been a really long time since I've used a table for an actual dive. Dive computers are almost expected these days. If tables aren't really used anymore, then why spend class time on it when it can be better spent on other things. Decompression theory needs to be taught. Use of a nearly obsolete tool may not be needed anymore.

An argument can be made the other way as well. I was originally taught using tables. It's been a really long time since I've used a table for an actual dive. Dive computers are almost expected these days. If tables aren't really used anymore, then why spend class time on it when it can be better spent on other things. Decompression theory needs to be taught. Use of a nearly obsolete tool may not be needed anymore.
I don't disagree but we should all understand the concept behind the DC and why it does what it does.

The title to this thread does not quite match your post, so I am a bit confused. Who is the "instructor" in this case? Are you referring to an instructor who is going to be on this reef/wreck trip? $50 is a lot for a one day computer rental. If it's for a week, then it is reasonable.

You asked, "If I will be fine without a (computer)?" The answer lies in your training. Did you learn to use tables in your OW and AOW and do you have the equipment for tables? On the other hand if all of your training was done using a computer, then you are not qualified to use tables and it would be ill advised to not have a computer.

Attempting to "match" the dive profile of someone else who has a computer is also ill advised. If you are already back from your two tank wreck/reef trip and everything went "fine," please don't make the take away from your experience that you don't need a way to track your nitrogen loading with either tables or a computer. You need one or the other.

I don't disagree but we should all understand the concept behind the DC and why it does what it does.
Absolutely. Understanding what it is doing and showing you is critical regardless of the tool. This is where it gets a bit tricky. An instructor in a course should not be expected to know how to operate every computer. That's the job of the owner. The instructor should definitely make sure that the students understand the most important information that will be displayed.

Using computers gives an opportunity to reinforce in real time decompression theory. You can't do that with tables in real time. They can descend with their students to a depth and work for a bit, then have their students take note of the NDL time displayed. Then they can ascend a bit and repeat. The NDL time should grow.

Now, whether that happens or not is the question. Teaching with a DC as opposed to tables can be just as thorough, or not.

OP, hopefully, you were taught to monitor your own dives. This isnt a training dive, YOU are responsible for your own dives. Generally, that means having a computer and knowing how to use it to make sure you dont stay too deep for too long. So I would recommend you have that ability - to monitor your own dives - before you do any more dives.

In response to your questions, $50 seems very high for a computer rental for just 2 dives, but its their business, they can charge what the market will bear.

The title to this thread does not quite match your post, so I am a bit confused. Who is the "instructor" in this case? Are you referring to an instructor who is going to be on this reef/wreck trip? $50 is a lot for a one day computer rental. If it's for a week, then it is reasonable.

You asked, "If I will be fine without a (computer)?" The answer lies in your training. Did you learn to use tables in your OW and AOW and do you have the equipment for tables? On the other hand if all of your training was done using a computer, then you are not qualified to use tables and it would be ill advised to not have a computer.

Attempting to "match" the dive profile of someone else who has a computer is also ill advised. If you are already back from your two tank wreck/reef trip and everything went "fine," please don't make the take away from your experience that you don't need a way to track your nitrogen loading with either tables or a computer. You need one or the other.

I dont mean to criticize the OP, but the OP's reference to an "instructor" on a dive may show a misplaced sense of reliance on their responsibilities. OP, since this is not a training dive, noone is responsible for your safety besides yourself. The dive leader is not an instructor, and will not monitor your dive profile, as Dan G points out.

I bought a cheap dive computer and never looked back. $300 will buy you a Suunto Novo Zoop or the like.

Then read the manual!!!

It worked well for me as a vacation diver and I'd do it again in a heartbeat if I was to do it again.
When my students ask me what should be their first equipment purchase after OW, I always recommend a computer. An inexpensive one of course. The reasoning is....every reputable dive op on the planet these days requires one and you will burn through rental money for them pretty quick. They're easy to travel with and it's YOURS!

When my students ask me what should be their first equipment purchase after OW, I always recommend a computer. An inexpensive one of course. The reasoning is....every reputable dive op on the planet these days requires one and you will burn through rental money for them pretty quick. They're easy to travel with and it's YOURS!
I don't understand why they're not considered personal equipment here in the US.

Never used my snorkel on a dive outside OW (I do snorkel with it from time to time on vacation). I eventually threw away my fins after carting them around for 4 moves and 10 years. Ditto for the boots/gloves/hood. But the dive computer has been essential. I can't imagine learning to dive on a computer (vs tables) and yet not being expected to buy one.

I travel light and until recently, I only traveled with mask, snorkel, computer, flashlight, tank banger, and logbooks/C Cards. It all fits well enough in two mask boxes inside a dry bag and I'd fit it in my carry on including my clothes! The rest I can rent easily enough whatever I'm diving and it'll fit me well enough.

Had the computer and went to 42 meters in Belize at the Blue Hole in 2017. I was the only non-guide that had a computer!!! Made me feel much safer when I could see my dive computer count down the deco requirements vs everyone else just blindly hoping a 15 minute safety stop was enough.

Also I know that Suunto isn't favored around here, but the Suunto Novo Zoop is a $300 investment that will do 95% of recreational diving. It's biggest drawback is it's a bit futzy and doesn't have AI, neither of which is really a problem if you're only a vacation diver.

If the dive guide leads the group on a multilevel dive, then the tables will not work. I discovered that myself on my first dives after certification. The other divers looking at me in amusement told me my tables would make a decent Frisbee. That was in the last millennium, and it remains the one and only time I have seen divers attempt to use tables outside of training.

I bought a computer as soon as I got home.
Our 1st trip post training I was still learning how to use my DC and understand everything it was trying to tell me, so after each day I was "mapping" the dives against tables to help me understand. By day 3 I was well into decompression dives according to the tables, lol.

$50/day seems excessive for a DC rental.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom