Question Only Instructor wears dive computer (extra charge if I want one)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just feel as those are core skills that should be taught. Like teaching math with a calculator vs by hand.
The important ones still are. Tables are really unnecessary anymore. Some cling to them, but there are better options. I learned on tables. I still know how to use them (it’s not hard), but I don’t understand how this enhances my diving today.

Horse-breaking is no longer taught in Driver’s Ed.

What is the "average depth" that you would use to give the same N2 loading, and thus allow the calculation of a repetitive dive? The mathematical average depth of that dive is about 43 feet. Is that the depth you would use? If you use the RDP with a 65 minute dive to 43 feet, you get less N2 loading than the ML dive gives. Apparently you do not use the mathematical average depth; what do you mean by average?
The types of dive operators that let you dive without a computer aren't doing 65 minute dives (at least I would hope not).

I just feel as those are core skills that should be taught. Like teaching math with a calculator vs by hand.
How often do you get out and use your slide rule? It can do most anything your calculator can do.

You don't. Because it is dated technology and a cheaper, easier, and better alternative is available.
Almost like using a dive computer instead of tables.

They aren't a requirement in basic OW for the same reason high schoolers aren't taught with slide rules.

Knowledge of the diving tables provides the basis of knowing safety limits [as pertains to nitrogen] while diving. A noobs reliance upon computers without first having learned the laws of physics and physiology of nitrogen absorption is a disservice to the student. Teach the tables.

I must admit to enjoying learning to use the tables (when I was young, and dinosaurs roamed the earth). I liked the graphical nature of it… if you go to this depth, and stay there for that time, you have to stay at the surface for this long to clear the nitrogen…. Etc. I liked the up/down nature of the tables and I think it helped me understand the relationships in a way that just looking at numbers on a screen might not have for me.

Sort of like looking a a bunch of numbers on a spreadsheet, vs a graph derived from those same numbers.

That being said, while I dive with a computer, and am happy to do so, I think that ‘learning the tables’ might still be a use exercise, if only for that.

I must admit to enjoying learning to use the tables (when I was young, and dinosaurs roamed the earth). I liked the graphical nature of it… if you go to this depth, and stay there for that time, you have to stay at the surface for this long to clear the nitrogen…. Etc. I liked the up/down nature of the tables and I think it helped me understand the relationships in a way that just looking at numbers on a screen might not have for me.

Sort of like looking a a bunch of numbers on a spreadsheet, vs a graph derived from those same numbers.

That being said, while I dive with a computer, and am happy to do so, I think that ‘learning the tables’ might still be a use exercise, if only for that.

i agree with you, i always have my table with me. i think it s a good start to understand as you said. Some people have a computer they don't have a clue of how it works and the basic relate to it. People are relying too much on technology these days.

For years they where no dive computer and people where diving safely.

Knowledge of the diving tables provides the basis of knowing safety limits [as pertains to nitrogen] while diving. A noobs reliance upon computers without first having learned the laws of physics and physiology of nitrogen absorption is a disservice to the student. Teach the tables.
Understanding something of the physics and physiology of inert gas absorption is important, but I see no indication that "teaching the tables" provides that. They were a necessary way to summarize a lot of data prior to the advent of PDCs, but using them is a simple rote process, not a lesson in deco theory. You might just as well say that in order to understand how logarithms work you need to learn how to use a slide rule.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom