OOA Buddy starts to drag you up by your octo - What would you do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cdennyb:
Listen up, the OOA diver would not have your octopus... it's a backup regulator and better be on a short hose tied around your neck. The OOA diver has probably grabbed your long hose and that's exactly why it's LONG. He (or she) now has air, they have distance which keeps the clastrophobia to a minimum and you have the other end of it!
Umm.. My octopus is on the longest hose?
My training tells me to grab the octopus when OOA and to donate the octopus to an OOA diver, not my primary regulator..
Yeah, things might not go as planned tho..

Cheekymonkey:
Overall this sounds horrible but it really comes down to your relationship with the buddy, some runaway ascents can't be stopped, are you going to let that buddy drag you to the surface. What if its an instabuddy is it really worth that?
I wouldnt say even my best friend is worth getting bent over, simply because if were both sick, I wont be able to help. Im much more likely to do things right if Im ok and hes sick (or the other way around) than if the both of us are..
Ok, you can call me cynical, I know I am, but Ive worked with things that have made me prioritize and my priorities is rather simple..
1. My safety
2. Other peoples safety
3. Structural and valuable safety (Does not really apply to diving)

If I fail to make sure Im safe and Im unable to act, Im unable to make sure other people is safe and Ive not done my job..

Shoot him with your speargun..........

ShakaZulu:
Shoot him with your speargun..........
:rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

Thank you, Shaka. You've been missed!

Claudette

caseybird:
No, of course not.

Even a casual reading of several of the posts in this thread, or several other posts in other threads clearly shows that some folks pride in their chosen style of diving and gear configuration has moved on to something akin to religous fervor. In some folks case that tranlates to not diving with anyone not trained and equipped the same as them.

On the other hand, sometimes the choice of words is just that; a choice of words that does not give the message the poster intended.

So, the question is a valid one. Just what did the poster intend? That their chosen style and equipment configuration was The One; or, that they actually meant something else but weren't clear in their language?

If I made it to the surface and didn't get bent, I'd still stab the guy in the cheek with my blunt knife for trying to kill me.

Don't most people have a sliding scale of diving purity?

I dive with most anybody who wants to dive with me

I also will dive with most people... Depending on the conditions.

The person who originally used the "sliding scale of diving purity" phrase was humorously making the observation that he would dive with all kinds of other divers, but just vary the kind of dive he would do with them, depending on how he viewed them overall. And I suspect we ALL do something like that, unless we just never dive with anybody new. I don't think there are very many people who would dive to the edge of their competency envelope with someone they'd never seen in the water before.

TSandM:
The person who originally used the "sliding scale of diving purity" phrase was humorously making the observation that he would dive with all kinds of other divers, but just vary the kind of dive he would do with them, depending on how he viewed them overall. And I suspect we ALL do something like that, unless we just never dive with anybody new. I don't think there are very many people who would dive to the edge of their competency envelope with someone they'd never seen in the water before.
I did once.. he was my certifying instructor and needless to say, I knew nothing about diving, so I wasnt even "on the edge" of my skills when diving with him, but far beyond :p

Tigerman:
I did once.. he was my certifying instructor and needless to say, I knew nothing about diving, so I wasnt even "on the edge" of my skills when diving with him, but far beyond :p

Good answer. :D

Back
Top Bottom