OOA on the Vandenberg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rae HalfTheHill

MSDT/Captain
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Divers: Myself, a brand new DMC. 26 years old, generally in good shape. Diver 1, about 40, has considerable experience and is a little heavyset, but appears to be in decent shape. Diver 2, also about mid 20's, some experience and in good shape. Both were AOW, myself having complete rescue diver and just started DMC,

Dive Site: USNS Vandenberg. Vis was 30+, current pretty mild for the location.

Being a DMC, I usually get paired with either single divers, or a pair of divers unfamiliar to the area. In this case, in was the later. I was paired up with them, and upon telling them my background, everyone agreed that I should lead the dive. Having probably 15+ dives on the Vandy, I felt pretty good about the dive planning and shared my plan for the first dive. We would descend on ball 5, head to the bridge area, then follow the current back the port side back to the stern. I briefed that despite the plan, we would turn the dive at 1800 psi. Once we descended the mooring line, I did air checks with everyone, and we were all +/- 100 psi with each other. We made out way along the main deck (about 90 fsw) to the bridge, then went up through the structure and out the port side bridge wing. When I checked on everyone's air, we were all at about 1700 PSI, so perfect time to follow the current back to the stern. When we got the mooring line, I did another air check, and the older gentleman was at 700 PSI! At this point I went ahead and offered my octo, as I was at about 1250 psi. He declined, and we began our ascent, with me checking on him every 10 feet or so. At about 30 feet, he ran out of air, and I gave him my octo with 1100 PSI. Once he had the octo, I showed him my SPG to show we were ok on air. The company I work with hangs a tank at 15 feet in case someone does run out of air. Once we safely got to this tank, he switched over, but was getting a lot of seawater with each inhalation. There was another diver close by that saw the situation and was carrying a pony, so he came over and donated the pony reg to the OOA diver, with which we completed the safety stop and made it back to the boat.

Once on the boat, obviously I felt at blame so I talked to the gentleman. He could not have been nicer, didn't blame me at all and was thankful to both myself and the diver with the pony. After a post dive debrief, he wasn't sure why he burned through so much air on the way back to the mooring line. However, he did say that once he saw he was low on air, he started to take quick, shallow breaths, which is something I know now is not conducive to conserving air and actually results in quicker air consumption. Even if there was no hang tank or diver with a pony, we both could have shared air and been safe, as I surface with about 750 PSI remaining. All in all, I think I was more shaken up than he was, me being a new DMC. He had no faults to anyone involved, and our second dive went perfectly and was very enjoyable.

Lessons learned: Be ultra conservative when diving with people you are unfamiliar with. Although we discussed general air plans before the dive, I should have been better with doing checks with those I was guiding. More checks are never a bad thing. Take into account the stress of diving a new location and how that may effect air consumption. I was the only one who had ever dived this fairly large wreck, so they were counting on me to know the proper route. Always take a more conservative approach on the first dive. Had I done this, I would have known more of our limits for the second dive. Lastly, don't be afraid to call a dive. Had I not had a good talk with both my dive group and the divemaster and discussed what had happened and how better to conduct the dive, I probably would have called the second dive on the Vandy, or at least not lead. Luckily I had a lot of support and discussion for lessons learned on the surface interval, so I felt fine guiding the second dive and it went as perfect as could be. I also could have made the approach to the bridge a bit shallower, no reason to transit the entire wreck at 90 feet when I could have done 70 feet, the dropped down to where I wanted to be. a 10 meter difference would have had a significant impact on air consumption given the 450 feet or so we transited. Last lesson learned: if you use a hang tank, remember to turn it off after it is used to prevent any leak during the SI. On my way back down I did secure it, but still, the little details can make the difference. Anyway, I am open to any and all criticism about this dive and want to learn how I can best prevent any of this in the future.

Hopefully this wasn't too long, thanks for any insights! Since then I have guided a ton of dives, all just as planned.

What size tanks?

A good analysis. My only question is why offer the octo when he still has 700 psi left? I'm not suggesting you wait until his completely OOA, but I would have waited longer. At his rate of consumption (see below) , he could have sucked your tank empty and required you both to switch back to his to get that 700.

You were at 1250 when he was at 700 and at 1100 when he hit empty? That's 150 psi to his 700. That's more than just him breathing shallow.....

What is the deal with the wet breathing hang tank? I'd look into that and make sure you are not putting an old beaten jalopy of a regulator for the safe fallback.

If you are worried about it leaking it is probably not well tuned. And should always be on a ready to use. If you turn if off for the SI it might not get turned on for the the dive.The last thing a person who is already having issues needs is more problems.

I cave dive. I always turn off my tank when I clip it off on the line and continue into the cave. Having it on and a leak or free flow while I was gone would be a death sentence. Shutting off a hanging tank is ok, but that must be discussed in the dive briefing and you all should inspect the tank when descending

I haven't been able to determine conclusively whether this is true, but I seem to actually use less air when I have a larger tank (not just ending the dive with more because I started with more.) I definitely get nervous when my air gets low, and I probably breathe faster without even realizing it. But what you're describing sounds a little more extreme.

I narrowly avoided something similar today. I was diving with two instabuddies at Farnsworth Banks, but one started freaking out as soon as she splashed in. She got back on the boat and I dived with just the other guy, and we had a great time. I don't know why they let this girl do the second dive (I assumed she was sitting out, but apparently she buddied up with someone else) and she ran out of air during her safety stop. She also apparently panicked and completely forgot her signals and common sense, and instead of giving her buddy the appropriate signal and/or heading to the surface alone, she waved her SPG at him, and then kicked down 10 feet to get his octo rather than just doing a CESA for the last 10 feet. She was given a stern talking-to but still thinks her buddy was at fault for not understanding her signals. I feel like I dodged a bullet. But yeah, panic uses up a lot of air.

I’d be willing to bet he didn’t have 1700 when he said he had 1700.
Does he require glasses? Serious question. He could have seen 1200 and thought 1700, or the hand signals could have been botched between 1200 and 1700.

I think it is unfortunate that the operators who dive the Vandy regularly don't offer meaningfully larger tanks. Captain's Corner only offers AL80s and short-filled AL100s, which give you maybe 90-95 cf depending on the day. If memory serves, DKW has steel 100s, which would be an improvement albeit a slight one.

Between the depth, the current, and the fact that the most sensible dive plans involve following a circular route, it is easy to have a sensible dive plan that has to be scrapped 1/3 of the way through because someone is low on air. That's demoralizing for everyone involved, and poses safety risks if someone misreads their SPG or isn't watching it or lies or whatever.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom