Open water dive PADI in Bangkok HELP!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As far as I knew, PADI now keeps a tight control over manuals sold vs pic applications by dive centers...so it is unlikely that it was a PADI center doing this?!? How would they get away with making the applications, when they had not purchased the manuals?

In contrast, SSI Thailand don't (at least when I was on Tao) demand customers to buy manuals...so SSI schools would loan a manual for the duration of the course. Some shops passed that saving on to the customers...others used it to make greater profit.

PIC-Online, Andy.

And I can guarantee it was a PADI shop, as I'm a PADI instructor, and I was dismayed. I even asked how they managed it, and they said that standards only require that students OWN a personal copy of the manual and that since shops could no longer loan library copies, they simply sold and bought back the used manuals. Standards do not stipulate that each student must have a brand-new book.

I honestly don't know how widespread this practice is, but I do know that this particular shop claimed that the used book scheme helped them keep their OW course prices rock bottom.

I use PIC Online.... and was under the impression that PADI still compared by online PIC applications against the orders I put in for manuals. As far as I was aware, the system was audited, to prevent the sort of 'rule bending' that is mentioned in this thread.

Andy, we're going off topic, so I won't go on and on with this, but there are ways. We do get referrals and students sometimes buy their books at home for self-study before they arrive; though those cases may not add up to big numbers, they do create loopholes that might be exploited. As I said, I don't know how widespread this practice is, but I can say, without one shred of hesitation, that at least one shop on Tao does the used-manual 'rule bending' scam. If one op does it, I would suspect that some others do as well. I haven't heard any rumblings of a PADI crackdown here in Thailand, though I suppose AP HQ could have a quiet 'word' with an offender.

Moving back towards the topic, JDL do say they provide a book with their cheap course, so they must have some other way to cut costs in order to make a reasonable profit.

Lots of shady stuff regarding cheap courses and materials. It just shows that cetners (like ours) that follow rules and standards to the letter are disadvantaged by scofflaw shops. Just glad I don't have to compete on K.T. Frankly, 9500 with a room for 4 nights and a legitimate book (personally) wouldn't be worth my time.

Lots of shady stuff regarding cheap courses and materials. It just shows that cetners (like ours) that follow rules and standards to the letter are disadvantaged by scofflaw shops. Just glad I don't have to compete on K.T. Frankly, 9500 with a room for 4 nights and a legitimate book (personally) wouldn't be worth my time.

I think scuba and skydiving would be two sports that I wouldn't lowball...even if it's only for the perception of additional safety. :wink:

Do they at least use white out before re-issuing the manuals?

Back
Top Bottom