Open water referral in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jjach

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife and I are going to do our classroom and confined dives here in the Chicago area, then go to Cozumel for our open water dives. I have looked on the internet to find a dive shop down there to go through, but there are so many to chose from. I did find one that sounded pretty good. It is called Aldora Divers. Has anyone heard of them, or can someone suggest a good shop that will give us personalized attention, and actually teach us what we need to know? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks

jjach:
My wife and I are going to do our classroom and confined dives here in the Chicago area, then go to Cozumel for our open water dives. I have looked on the internet to find a dive shop down there to go through, but there are so many to chose from. I did find one that sounded pretty good. It is called Aldora Divers. Has anyone heard of them, or can someone suggest a good shop that will give us personalized attention, and actually teach us what we need to know? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Sure, Aldora is a great operation. A bit pricey, but very good.

jjach:
Thanks

I think you would very much enjoy diving with Aldora. My recommendations for an instructor would be Mario. He's very personable and would put you and wife at ease. All of Aldora's DMs are instructors and you can feel confident about any of them. Are you staying at the Villa Aldora?

I suggest Liquid Blue Divers. Also a bit pricey but fantastic personal service. I just completed AOW with them a couple of weeks ago.

Aldora is good, also Christi at Bluextsea, and Roberto at Liquid Blue. Nice to see another from the Chicago area zero in on Cozumel. Maybe Apple and funjet will get the hint and fly more charters from Chicago to Cozumel.

If you need a hotel pm me and I might be able to get you a great deal at Reef Club.
Lou

Do not...I repeat...DO NOT! do your OW check-outs on a referral in Cozumel.

I did a Discover Scuba in Cozumel.

Then did the regular OW cert. back home. Was supposed to do the OW check-outs in a local regional lake but had and ear infection at the time of the check-outs so had to postpone.

Then I did OW check-outs in Coz. on a trip with my instuctor a couple of months later.

Then I did a week of diving in Coz. on that trip after my instructor cleared me to dive.

Check-outs and first OW dives all at once in the same place.

I'M SPOILED FOR LIFE NOW!!!

Sorry...off topic. :D

If you do a referral and finish your open water certification in Coz, you'll never want to dive anywhere else again! The place is just amazing.

I'm headed down next week with six divers. Two of them are referrals. We've had tremendous success with taking divers down to finish their open water certification in Cozumel. We always go with Roberta's Eco-Dive Cozumel/Scuba Shack. Robert Cwertina has certified several of our divers in the past. He's incredibly patient and not only knows how to dive, he knows how to teach someone else. Those two skills are completely independent.

-Charles

charlesml3:
If you do a referral and finish your open water certification in Coz, you'll never want to dive anywhere else again!

That's true in more ways than one. If you do your open water checkout dives in Cozumel, your comfort zone will be fairly narrow. I recommend doing them in more challenging conditions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom