Open Water Referral - PDC or Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nick92675

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all, first post!

My wife and I just finished our confined dives and portions of our PADI open water course locally. Have plane tickets to Cancun, that's about all at this point. We're definitely beginners, and are looking for easier dives. Not super confident divers yet. Want to go diving, but also relax and see/do other things - not feel like we have to be diving every day. Would it make sense to get the certification in PDC or somewhere "easier" that has other attractions - and then head to cozumel at the tail end of the trip once we're certified for the good stuff? Seems to be some concern about possibly getting bored in cozumel if we're not diving every day. Generally speaking, we like to avoid all inclusives/crowds/big hotels/operations. Any recommended shops? Want someplace where we're not pissing off you expert divers by being the slowpokes wanting to stay 'in the shallow end' (for now - we'll catch up in a bit!).

Thanks!

Hi Nick,
Playa del Carmen is a great place for beginner divers. We have several shallow sites where we can get your checkout dives taken care of and get experience diving. Also, most of the shallow sites are within 10 minutes of the shore, so you can spend more time in the water and less time on a boat.

Also, there are loTs of stuff for you to do on non-diving days like ruins, whale sharks (from next week to september), sightseeing, etc.

Please check our our website on www.beyonddivingscuba.com and if you have any questions, shoot me an email to info@beyonddivingscuba.com.
Erik

I believe you are better off doing your initial dives somewhere on the mainland, either at PDC or south of there, than Cozumel. That does not mean that Cozumel is a bad choice--you can get excellent instruction at excellent sites there. You are just more likely to have troublesome currents there. The currents can be downright mild there, but you can't be sure.

Last edited:
Hi Nick,

Agree with the others on Playa v Cozumel. Coz has awesome diving, great vis, nice walls, plenty of great things to see, but yes, the current can be bangin'! Playa dives are drift dives like Coz but typically the current is relatively consistent and generally not as bad. There are many sites 10-15 minutes from the beach which are great for checkout skills followed by a fun swim along the reef.

I've used Tank Ha for ocean dives the last couple years we've been there (we go at least once a year for the last 8-9 years) and have been very pleased. They go out in the AM and afternoon with the afternoon usually being less crowded as that's when they'll do dives with Discover Scuba students and the like so you wouldn't need to "worry" about PO'ing the "experts" :)

They're across from the Beer Bucket on calle 10 (just west of 5th Ave), their boat leaves from calle 8 and the beach. Lots to do in Playa as well. Shopping, restaurants, Tulum Ruins, etc. There are many good dive shops in Playa and I'm sure you'll find someone who will take good care of you!

I've done Puerto Morelos (30 km before Playa del Carmen) and Cozumel. Visibility in Cozumel is way better, but yes, you can have strong currents. Still, you can go to Cozumel's Paraiso Reef, which has great visibility and usually not strong currents. It's only 30-40ft deep and it's not a long boat ride.

You can do it without sleeping in Cozumel. I stayed at PDC, took a 10am ferry to Cozumel, a Blue Angel Resort boat picked me up at the dock, went to try our equipment and then had 2 dives. I was back in PDC at 5 pm. You can even stay at that resort, which is a 22 room hotel/dive shop, small compared to the huge Cozumel hotels.

If you find this too much trouble, Puerto Morelos or Playa del Carmen still have very nice diving sites without long rides.

You have a good plan...certify and dive off mainland..maybe.snorkle the cenotes .maybe..see Coba and Tulum and Chitzen...leave a couple days for Coz...recommend you get your own DM for first Coz dive...but really its great there just make sure the Coz operator acknowledges your rookie status...plenty of those so you wont be the only ones..See how you do from PDC..or similar...if you are comfortable then Coz not all that difficult.. 7 years ago I did a version of this but was glad i gave myself 9 days and wished for a couple more. Missed the Whale Sharks but will get there.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom