Open water referrals to Cuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bubblewell

Registered
Reaction score
Just wondering what opinions people have about completing PADI Open Water checkout dives in Cuba? I am reading very mixed reports about gear quality, which may be less of a problem for experienced divers.

Basically, after taking in to account flying in and out, I will have:

2 days in Havana
2 days in Trinidad
2 days in Cienfuegos
2 days in Varadero

Are these locations any good for checkout dives?

I have completed all my Confined Water dives in the UK and practicing now waiting for a chance to do the checkout dives. It is unlikely at present that I will do much UK diving for the next few years, so I may as well take the chance to checkout on my holiday as all my future diving would be in warmer conditions anyway.

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Univers,Zurich BT]According to this website: [/FONT]http://www.cuba-diving.de/DIVE-CUBA/DIVING_PLACES_CUBA/CUBA-DIVING_WORLD/Dive_Courses_in_Cuba/hauptteil_dive_courses_in_cuba.html there are no PADI dive shops in Cuba. There are, however, PADI-affiliated instructors in [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Univers,Zurich BT]Cayo Largo, Cayo Guillermo and Guardalavaca[/FONT].

Ah yes I never reckoned on that, stupd sanctions :confused:

Only US sanctions - many Canadians go there, especially from Ontario & Quebec.
My instructor, she went there last November '11 and had a great time.

Here's how I became PADI-OW, did everything locally, then did the four checkout dives in Mexico. I highly recommend this route - though it is more expensive to do it this way.

Personally - no matter where you go - I find doing your certification through a referral a good idea :
- a swimming pool doesn't prepare you for ocean
- cold water OW is often a quarry or canal - no current whatsoever - again doesn't prepare you for ocean
- lots of things to learn diving from a boat the first time
- you get to find out if you get seasick or not, without ruining your entire vacation
- the *payback* seeing tropical fish in their natural environment. Sorry, lake fish are boring in comparison. Sea turtles FTW

IOW, if you cert - and never dove in the ocean - unless you pay extra to have a DM/Instructor/guide with you - you'll be diving with your buddy on your own. For a brand new diver - I personally think that's crazy - unless the first few dives are shore dives in a quiet bay.

Off a boat into 60-100 feet of water, dealing with waves and possibly sea sickness, the peer pressure one can feel that they are holding back the group getting down, etc.

Your first referral dive is always with a buoy & rope - to help you go down - and go back up - to learn how to equalize your ears, and give you confidence. The other three will be without (usually - other than the boat anchor).

However, the extra $$$ you're paying for referral (can be as high as 250 USD$ per person), you have an instructor-level diver looking after you for four consecutive dives over two days. That will do four shallow dives, make sure you're not over weighted, and generally make you happy - he/she will want a big tip BTW. (I gave & give 15%)

Then when you do a regular boat dive, and do your first "deep" dive, followed by a shallow, usually with the same dive op, you'll know the ropes. How to exit & reenter the boat. Often your instructor-certifier of those first four referral dives will also be with you on following dives.
Camaraderie often ensues...

Lastly - consider the language issue. Cuba's isolation doesn't necessarily make for the most English-speaking of people, and most of their tourists, other than from Canada & UK, aren't English-speaking.

You might want to consider another tropical island. We just came back from Grand Cayman - very easy for beginner divers all along Seven Mile Beach. A few diver-related resorts, like Sunset House & Ocean Divers. Over there, 1US$ = 1.20 GC$.

Also Mexico - lots of budget-friendly choices. Look for "invade cozumel" on ScubaBoard.

IOW - don't limit yourself to just Cuba. You can always go there as experienced divers later.

Any PADI instructor can sign off on your OW requirement for PADI basic OW. FWIW I found Cuba to be exceptionally safe and friendly.

If it was me, I would probably bite the bullet, finish my OW certification dives in the UK and then dive for your own pleasure once in Cuba. Trying to find a PADI endorsed instructor there for your referal might prove to be problematic. I went to Coyo Coco in Oct 2009 and enjoyed diving there for a week. Conditions were not Cozumel/Bonaire/Bahamas like but the water was still nice (82-84F), saw decent marine life and visibility was better deeper than it was in the shallower sections. As a matter of fact, on our third dive of a certain day, in the 30 - 40 ft range, the vis reminded me what it can be like in our St Lawrence river except the water was at 84F...I still remember the DM looking at us every so often at the beginning of the dive because he thought we were concerned by the vis...Geewhiz was just like home and our group just dove accordingly. Enjoy whatever diving you might be doing there.

I’m one of many other Instructors in Cuba that used to work for the government‘s dives centers, now finally we have the chance of opening small private dive centers in the island.
Until last year in the peninsula of Varadero in Cuba there used to be only 2 dives company (both from the government), this year we have open 5 new chops with much better offers and services than what we could do or offer before.
In our case, we have decided to only offer private Diving & Snorkeling trips and courses. We teach and certify PADI, ACUC, and CMAS.
No more going 50 divers in a buss.
No more mixing divers of different levels or experience.
If prefer no to stay in an all included hotel you can do packets like …….
2person packet for (632cuc)
-7 Nights in a flat in downtown in Varadero for 2 people.
-6 dives in 3 days
-2 private dives in the Coral reef in Varadero.
-2private dives in the Bay of Pigs in the Caribbean Sea.
-2boat dives (reef or wreck)
There is a lot of diving going on here now; it is just hard to know what is going on here because of the difficult access to the internet.
I’m more than happy to help you on information about the dives in Varadero Cuba!!
contact email snorkelingvaradero@yahoo.com
(+53) 52636525​

Hi, I am new to this forum and have been looking for information about PADI in Cuba as well, until I PADI themselves have clarified the situation

[FONT=&quot]PADI’s position with regard to PADI diving activities in Cuba.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The U.S. Government has strong restrictions regarding business with Cuba and its citizens. Because PADI has its headquarters in the USA, U.S. Government regulations stipulate that PADI’s programmes may not be offered in Cuba. This situation is not unique to PADI. For example, both SSI and NAUI as U.S. based corporations are subject to the same regulations. Any [/FONT][FONT=&quot]PADI Member who is found to be working in Cuba faces Quality Assurance action for violation of PADI membership requirements.[/FONT]

Having said that, the only thing you will be risking is that your qualification will not be valid/accepted by PADI and you might need to retake your course in another country. The major risk is taken by your PADI instructor.

I hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom