Open Water: Saint Lawrence River Yesterday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hmmm .... new divers can use things like a necklace, or a pony ... although I know a lot of experienced divers who tried to discourage that ... some ppl think that this is too much for new divers ... mindset plays a part here

I put my primary stage 2, on a necklace. I never have to look for it. Octo is for a buddy, and I sling a 30cu pony, for me.
That's the way I was taught at former dive training shop. The place I am now is primarily a recreational diver training facility that dos not recommend using primary second stage necklace. Each training facility is different, for instance, former training discouraged using a snorkel and encouraged easy access to primary 2nd via necklace. I'm taught the opposite where I am now.

Why would you put your primary on a necklace, since it will be in your mouth, unless you're donating it. The secondary is the one that is necklaced, so you never have to look for it.

It makes a lot of sense loosening my BCD to allow air to circulate wearing a dry suit. Another change I can't wait to try is retrieving regulator over my head instead of a right arm sweep. I can't feel the reg hose through the dry suit so with the overhead method I can be certain having reg in hand.
I must say everyone is very helpful, thank you!

Why would you put your primary on a necklace, since it will be in your mouth, unless you're donating it. The secondary is the one that is necklaced, so you never have to look for it.
My primary is on a necklace, because I never want to look for it. My secondary, is not for me, it is for a potential dive buddy. I sling a 30cu pony, which is for me, and completely blind, my hand knows where the 2nd stage for the pony is, held in place by restraining bands.

My primary is on a necklace, because I never want to look for it. My secondary, is not for me, it is for a potential dive buddy. I sling a 30cu pony, which is for me, and completely blind, my hand knows where the 2nd stage for the pony is, held in place by restraining bands.
If you are performing a reg recovery skill do you remove your primary from your necklace? I may be wrong, but having your primary on a necklace is a matter of choice.

If you are performing a reg recovery skill do you remove your primary from your necklace?
Not at all ... I practised reg recovery skill in my OW course, where I was not allowed to use my necklace. Once the course was over, necklace went on. I just dont have to "look" for my primary anymore. It is always where I need it. I did my AOW, 1.5 months after my OW; starting that course with 40 logged dives. The necklace stayed on for that course.

Not at all ... I practised reg recovery skill in my OW course, where I was not allowed to use my necklace. Once the course was over, necklace went on. I just dont have to "look" for my primary anymore. It is always where I need it. I did my AOW, 1.5 months after my OW; starting that course with 40 logged dives. The necklace stayed on for that course.
I like the idea

It makes a lot of sense loosening my BCD to allow air to circulate wearing a dry suit. Another change I can't wait to try is retrieving regulator over my head instead of a right arm sweep. I can't feel the reg hose through the dry suit so with the overhead method I can be certain having reg in hand.
I must say everyone is very helpful, thank you!
Do you have a jkt style bcd, back inflate or wing? Weight belt or ditchable weights. A back inflate or wing with ditchables, will restrict air flow in your drysuit much less than a jkt style bcd, or a weight belt. I know a lot of divers who use a weight harness with ditchables, as they are not as restricitng as a tight weight belt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom