opening battery compartment in Ikelite ds51

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

janrn777

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I went to change the battery in my substrobe ds 51 and the battery compartment WILL NOT open. Have turned the screw counterclockwise at least 30 full turns and still can't open the door. What to do? What to do? I only have 5 more days to dive Bonaire.

Can you try pressing down on the Door to release the pressure on the screw??? Or maybe pulling up on the screw as you turn it?

We tried your suggestions with no go. I'm hoping that when it gets warm (ok, it's warm now-HOT) the vacumn will release and everything will be fine. I have e-mailed ikelite and will take to camera shops here if that doesn't work.

So Sorry to hear...hope you can get it released. Do you have a different door cover with you? Set your white balance regularly underwater it will help if you can't use it. What camera are you diving with?

I have a Canon G9 with an Ikelite housing. I put the WA on it today and was pretty happy without the stobe, but couldn't really take it on the night dive. It's very sunny on most reefs in Bonaire until you get down about 60 feet. Thanks for your help.

Make sure you have unscrewed ( sounds like you have but...). Get a knife and lay it across the top of the strobe, this will act as part of your lever. Locate a fork, or something else that has space between the tynes and is thin enough to pass under the screw. Put the curve side of the fork on the knife and apply downward pressure forceing the screw up. If it is a vacuum problem this will do the trick.
When is the last time you changed the batteries? This could be what I refer to as the "Old corrosion weld trick" Happens when we store our strobes with the batteries inside.

oooohhh Scary thought. I had a flood in my battery compartment on my last 2 dives. I hope it is not that....OTOH I sent the strobe to Ikelite and they replaced the whole battery compartment for me for $50 plus shipping..Gotta love Ikelite!!!!

Well I'm just learning all these rules I never heard before that everyone knows but me. Story of my life. I put the batteries in and that was it. These are the original batteries. I didn't release the o-ring when I went on the plane (4 times). Duh. The fork bent when I tried Doubler's fix so I have set it in the sun to cook for awhile and expand whatever molecules are left in there. But I'm in Bonaire so it's all good.

If there are charged batteries inside, let a little bit of saltwater in and turn the strobe on. The batteries should explode. The impact will force the battery compartment door open.

:shocked2:......Wow Marc seems a bit drastic..... If you even can get any water in that way. If it works, afterwards make sure you fill the compartment up with alcohol to clean it out and then dry it completely....I used this method after my 2 floods, It did work but I sent it in anyway....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom