opening battery compartment in Ikelite ds51

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, Marc, I left my underwater drill back in Michigan---but love the image of my strobe exploding at this point. Ikelite says to send it to them, and I'm making do here with what I have. This morning is my last chance to dive before to heading to the frozen north. Thanks all for your help.

JANRN777
If the lever didn't work you need to send it to Ikelite for repair. Sounds like you got a serious corrosion issue. Lessons learned: I will ALWAYS remove my batteries before storage and I will leave the battery compartment loose before flying. Hey we all learn lessons the hard way and they are the ones that stick. Mine came about with my old 101 strobe when I left the batteries in for storage.

Back home and cold-no plans for underwater pumpkin carving or otherwise getting my 7-mil wet so Ikelite will have some time to fix the problem. I'll let you know what they say.

I got great service from Ikelite..They will take care of you..Please post though..I for one am very curious...And here in WI it snowed the other day....Enter depression zone....
p.s. Whe I store my DS51 I put a moisture muncher in the empty battery compartment....

I was told that if it leaks the battery compartment can overheat due to a battery short and then that can cause the joint where the screw post attaches to the base to crack and cause the screw to cause the post to turn. It has happened three times to me...not impressed with that aspect of the DS51...

Bump!

Janrn, any update on what the cause/solution/prevention turned out to be?

1) NEVER put batteries in before flying and tighten the door. Vacuum will suck it in.

2) NEVER store your strobe with batteries in it.

3) You only need to tighten the battery door snug enough to seal the o-ring. The slot is more for unscrewing the knob.

I also put a tiny amount of o-ring grease on the o-ring to keep it supple.

NOTE: NEW CLEAR battery door part# 9440.45 is great! Get them and keep your colored ones for spares.

ALSO: If you tighten the door TOO much it will snap off the stud that is secured to the bottom of the battery compartment :(

4) I store my DS51 (and AF35 units) with door slightly loose so the o-rig doesn't get compressed for long periods of time.

Good luck :)

dhaas

Follow-up: Sent the strobe to Ikelite for repair, they sent it back a few weeks later fixed. The invoice said it flooded. No charge, not even for postage and I haven't tried it since -just not into diving the frozen north-but I learned my lesson(s). Hoping to get it wet soon. Thanks everyone for your input.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom