Opening Day at Haigh!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What happend. Because of the Dry suit deal I did not show up. So I finnish some chores that I had to do so I can go diving next week or on the 17 depending on the weather. looks like for the 17 we might hit the 40's ya Diving has started

do it easy:
I just wanted to thank all the GLWC divers who showed up for opening day at Haigh! The vis was great, the water was warm, and the diving was amazing.

Define "water was warm," I had 39 degrees at 35' here in Ky.

Please tell me it was warmer than what we had!

OK, it was warmer than what you had in there! :wink:

I didn't pay attention to the temps- I knew what they were already. I think the temps were between 36f and 43f, depending on how deep we were- it was warmer at depth. I didn't feel any distinct thermoclines, probably because they were only a few degrees apart.

We found out the hard way that the air temps were below freezing- during the surface interval, our gear froze- bolts snaps, webbing, mask straps! My crotch strap froze which made it hard to put on and uncomfortable to wear! A thin layer of ice froze in my mask which made it difficult to defog. Luckily my defog didn't freeze this time. Then, the mask was hard to put on because the neoprene slap strap was frozen and didn't stretch at all. Good times! :)

Sounds like the same conditions we ran into. Snowing off and on, 33 degrees surface,
needless to say seals were stiff and equipment wanted to freeze rather than dry. My
hands were frozen before the dive. It was not a pleasant day for me. I'm hoping for
much better conditions for the M&G, I really want to go this year!

I would have to guess that all divers were diving dry, and that they are Ice divers.

When will the lake be open to non ice certified divers ? I know mother nature has alot to do with it, but when do you think it will be ready for us warm water divers 45 deg. plus types.
Thanks, Jim Breslin

Perhaps next weekend there will be open water. But I think realisticly, it will be the weekend after when the quarry will be all open water again. Temps yesterday were the following:

Surface: 36F
Flamingo: 37F
Deep Hole: 43F
Air Temps 25F

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom