Opinions of Maldives???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well its settled then... liveaboard for week in the Maldives it is.

Thanks everybody for the input and everything. I'll be sure and post pictures after September.

Hi,
Have visited the Maldives two years running now, Jan & Feb, so can't comment on weather for Sept. We did land based holiday on Summer Island and I've got to say the diving was fantastic on both trips. The dive base do packages according to skill level and amount of dives reqd, equipment hire etc. We did many two tank dives of a morning which tended to be the more advanced dive sites, followed by a more gentle afternoon dive. A lot of the channel dives can be quite challenging with moderate to very strong unpredictable currents, but the rewards for this are an abundence of sharks, rays etc. The outside reefs can be great dives where you see an amazing amount of large species or a lazy drift with little about, very unpredictable. The Manta's tend to follow the plankton into the atolls, (again not sure of Sept) visibility can be a little gloomy, but around the cleaning stations and feeding sites there are plenty of them to see and close enough for the visibilty not to matter a great deal. There are soft corals about and beatiful too, but El nino a few years ago did a lot of damage to the reefs. The whole experience is fantastic, I've booked again for Jan 2010 and can't wait to get back out there.

Nick

Hi
To get a good idea of what you might see in the Maldives at this time of year you could go to Maldives Scuba Tours site at scubascuba dot com where they have trip reports from the Maldives liveaboards, MV Sea Queen and MV Sea Spirit that go back for 7 years! Should give you a good idea of the kind of life you might see.
The Maldives is a seasonal destination and the great thing about going on a liveaboard is that you can get to the right dive sites for the right time of year.
Without doubt the Maldives offers some of the best diving in the world....but like all these places, you need to go to the right sites at the right time.

Hi Ff404

Good to hear you've choosen the Maldives; you won't be disapointed - make sure you post your diving experience.

Have you picked a liveaboard yet; if not have a look on some of the UK Dive Forums - there are some useful posts/trip reports.

We've been to the Maldives for the last 7 years and going back out in October - can't get enough of the place; it really has some of the best diving to be had.

We've done a mix of island holidays and liveaboard holidays and for us now the liveaboard option it the best option.

For the last 2 years and this year we have booked with Maldive Scuba Tours; staying on Sea Sprirt/Sea Queen they have over 16yrs experience in the Maldives and we were lucky enough to be out their when one on the owners was visiting and what was very clear to see was the passion of the team - they really went out of their way to ensure everyone had a fantastic holiday.

We always go out between Sept and Oct and yes it's rainy season but in the last 7yrs we've only ever missed 1 days diving due to weather. Viz at this time of year can be reduced but hay all the plankton does attract those big 'spotty fish' and the 'flappy things'....Whale Sharks and Mantas....last year we were luck enough to have the opportunity to snorkle for 2.5hrs with 5 'spotty fish'.....awsome!!!

We had Mantas on nearly every dive; and at one point we had Whale Sharks and Mantas at the same time....where to focus the lens...decision decision decision!

If you have any Q's and I can help please drop me a PM.

Regards
Vicky

I now do a yearly Live-aboard trip. The diving is so good, some places in Asia really pale. I for sure look forward to my next one in December.

Did a trip to the Maldives some 10 years ago. Still dream of it. Stayed on a small island, Alimatha, less than 12 divers on the island at that time, and had the most spectacular dives, like diving into an aquarium Wall to 2000 meters, 50 meter viz, pristine reefs, the pattern was pretty standard outer edge to 30 m hold on until close to know deco time watching sharks, rays, baracudas, mantas etc flying by in the current then a slow drift up the outer wall and in the channel, safety stop in 5 meters still lots to see. You and buddy dive together and go wherever you want and stay down as long as you want and the boat picks you up. Then went to the "main diving island" Kuredu, and it was the pits 3 hotels thousands of divers, a complete let down. Rules and regulations, seemed like Queensland Work Safe had got hold of them. So I guess a live aboard or a smaller island with a good DM is the go. Enjoy. I'm going green with envy.

I am also thinking of the Maldives next year after reading this thread. Im thinking of combining liveaboard/ island stay. What are best times of year to visit? Im planning for May-June. If its an island stay I hear Ari Atoll does really good diving. I had a look at a place caled Sun island just to its proximity to a few dives sites there. Anyone care to share their tips on which islands/ dive resort operations are best value? Is Kuredu really that bad?

I tried to check Vilamendhoo with Euro Divers but cant seem to source any accomodation rates at all, site says only dive rate available.

Do the liveaboards actually stop by some of the island white beaches?

I came back from the Maldives 1 week ago. Did a liveaboard for 1 week and land for another week. Will post a trip report soon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom