Opinions of Whites Fusion One Drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How would you feel if you were given a pair of very loose and comfortable shirt and trousers to wear? Then someone decided that there is too much extra skin flapping around so lets put this guy, along with his loose clothing, into super tight full body lycra sock that will squeeze and crush all the additional layers against his body and that way he will not have an air-bubble in the suit??? Sounds brilliant doesnt it? Then you were told that this uber-ridiculous idea is the new breakthrough in drysuit technology? And after that you were thrown into a pool for your first certification dive?

I was like WTF?

I was claustrophobic and wanting to itch and adjust areas of extra folds where my hands were unable to reach because the tight lycra was too restrictive. In short ... worst drysuit experience ever.

How would you feel if you were given a pair of very loose and comfortable shirt and trousers to wear? Then someone decided that there is too much extra skin flapping around so lets put this guy, along with his loose clothing, into super tight full body lycra sock that will squeeze and crush all the additional layers against his body and that way he will not have an air-bubble in the suit??? Sounds brilliant doesnt it? Then you were told that this uber-ridiculous idea is the new breakthrough in drysuit technology? And after that you were thrown into a pool for your first certification dive?

I feel like this in my compressed neo if I do not put enough air in it.

I feel like this in my compressed neo if I do not put enough air in it.

I heard that from a few other users of compressed neoprene. My understanding is that since compressed neoprene does not stretch much, when the suit squeeze happens it must feel nasty as it is rigid material pressing against you. I have a Dragonhide 3mm / Delux drysuit which is made of a very flexibile neoprene. When it squeezes against you body the material stretches so you barely feel any squeeze. Just a warmer, toasty hug! It is the best suit I have ever tried because it needs less of an airpocket.

I heard that from a few other users of compressed neoprene. My understanding is that since compressed neoprene does not stretch much, when the suit squeeze happens it must feel nasty as it is rigid material pressing against you. I have a Dragonhide 3mm / Delux drysuit which is made of a very flexibile neoprene. When it squeezes against you body the material stretches so you barely feel any squeeze. Just a warmer, toasty hug! It is the best suit I have ever tried because it needs less of an airpocket.

Can you attach pockets?

I was like WTF?

I was claustrophobic and wanting to itch and adjust areas of extra folds where my hands were unable to reach because the tight lycra was too restrictive. In short ... worst drysuit experience ever.

I'd like you to clarify one point. First you said you had the equivalent of a loose and comfortable set of clothes, which implies you have experience in a Tri-lam suit or similar. But then you said you wore the Fusion on your first pool certification dive? Or did I just misunderstand your statement?

I know a number of people who have used Fusions and gone on to dive other suits. Most of them objected to the donning process in the Fusion. Captain Sinbad is the first person I've seen be so incredibly venomous about the suit, and I wonder if he had on very thin undergarments. With the UG I use, there's no WAY the folds in the bag on the Fusion are even something I could feel, like alone be bothered by.

interesting! I'm currently in the market for a drysuit, and I've narrowed it down to two: The DUI TLS350, and the Whites Fusion Sport. I intend to use the suit on any water temps below 80 degrees, so any info I can get could be useful. I've dove the TLS350 and liked it, but I have not had the chance to dive a Fusion.

I'd like you to clarify one point. First you said you had the equivalent of a loose and comfortable set of clothes, which implies you have experience in a Tri-lam suit or similar. But then you said you wore the Fusion on your first pool certification dive? Or did I just misunderstand your statement?

I was actually referring to the suit design itself. The Whites Fusion is a tight skin over loose layer design. It feels like someone first designed a loose inner shell so that the diver could have freedom of movement. Then they designed a really tight outer-mesh that is meant to squeeze everything against your body so that you do not have all the drysuit flab flapping around. On my body type, it meant extremely un-even distribution of air when the suit was inflated. When it was deflated, it would crush my crotch like anything. I would try to inflate the suit to release crotch pressure but the air seemed to go to all other areas except THERE. I remember pulling the suit away from my crotch to create some breathing space between my legs but the material you pull away (or adjust) is the outer layer and not the inner layer which is pressing against you. I was quite miserable and b!tched about this whole experience on this forum.

My DM said he did not like Whites Fusion though he was not as uncomfortable in it as I was. He loaned me his regular shell suit on the next few dives and I felt fine.

---------- Post added November 13th, 2013 at 07:30 PM ----------

I know a number of people who have used Fusions and gone on to dive other suits. Most of them objected to the donning process in the Fusion. Captain Sinbad is the first person I've seen be so incredibly venomous about the suit, and I wonder if he had on very thin undergarments. With the UG I use, there's no WAY the folds in the bag on the Fusion are even something I could feel, like alone be bothered by.

Yes. I had thin undergarment during the first dive and my log book has a note that I tried a thicker undergarment on the next dive. I forgot to note in my logbook whether it helped but my overall notes for those dives as well as the memory of it all is not very pleasant.

Thanks for clarifying!
I guess I need to find a place to rent a Fusion before I make a decision. My other concern about the Fusion is the difficulty some report with pockets. The Sport skin doesn't have pockets. The Tech skin does have pockets but dries much more slowly than a tri-lam suit and the pockets are droopy. The tri-lam suit has more resistance in the water and is more expensive.

I watched a video DRIS did about the suspenders in the fusion. They said that if you pull TOO right they may stay tight and squeese the crotch. Maybe this was your problem.

For every 1 person that does not like the fusion 50 like it.

I am looking at the fusion tech or the bare trilam tech. After reading a lot about both suits the only way to decide is a test dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom