Opinions on Classes with learning instructors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

doghouse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am looking for your view on people learning to instruct by co teaching OW classes.

My instructor is leading the class and overseeing everything cautiously. The other person is learning to become an instructor. No doubt this skill needs to be done, but is it the norm?

My class may be unusual as there are only 2 students, and we both are self motivated, and adults.

It happens in almost every class in our local PADI Facility. (in the confined dives and open water dives) There is an Instructor and his Divemaster or Assistant Instructor or Safety Diver. Most of our classes have 8-12 students, so two people are needed for that many students. For two students, it's not a necessity, but the Divemaster/Asst Instructor can always use the training if they are interested in becoming an instructor. It's the only way they are going to learn.

To answer your question as to whether it is unusual or not will depend on the dive shop you are taking classes from. If the shop offers a significant amount of IDC/ITC's then it may be somewhat common.

Someone some where is going through their instructor training and it appears you are in one of those situations. When I went through my training it was explained to the students and they were asked if they were fine with this. Were you asked this question?

Salaam

chris

Dive Master Students and Instructor Students generally assist in training classes for OW, AOW and even Rescue. This is called internship and allows the student to get first hand experience under the watchful eye of a real instructor.
These assistants have likely already passed the requirements to become a certified Dive Master but they still need the practice and experience in working with dive students.
Any Dive Master or Dive Instructor worth his salt did an internship as part of his training.

When I was a Dive Master preparing for IDC, I did a lot of teaching open water classes with the instructor. He would lead and we would work together. It really helped me to get ready for IDC. As for normal, I am not sure. I guess it is personal preferance. All of my divemasters have to teach a couple of classes. They love it and it helps them a lot. Good Luck with diving. Clay

I think it brings new blood into my classes

I was an Instructor in the Navy (not scuba) and we used to have new instructors help teach all of the time. It was great to have another person in the class that could help explain some thing or point out something that you missed.

Would you prefer to be the student in a class where the "instructor" had never actually taught before, or assisted with a class? Do you think Instructors come fresh out of Instructor School ready to teach?
remember student teachers way back in elementary school?
gomi_

Frankly, I think it might be better to have someone new, at least when it comes to the paper knowledge. While it's certainly *quite* useful to glean information from instructors (and "normal" divers) who have been around a long time, a new (or soon-to-be) instructor will often be more careful to cover everything and not gloss over anything (at least in my personal experience).

Great instructors get better with time, of course, but there's likely also value to be found in an instructor who hasn't had time to get into any ruts (and who is nervous as heck to not lose any students early in their carreer :D).

So it is normal. I just have never taken a class like this so I did not know what to expect.

Back
Top Bottom