opinions on communication units?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thought we lost you for a while there... and no we started anything new... we didn't want you to feel left out. So we were waiting...

Mario :D

This has been a really fun thread and with over 1000 views I guess alot of divers read them. I know the need for communication and like King Neptune said it will be used even more in the future. I have all the respect for the TOP com units on the market and especially the OTS. As for the non-electronic units, they too will be here to stay. The Scuba Voice fills a huge gap for typical divers. The ability to be able to say a few words is great, and any person who has ever or will in the future get to use one will never be able to go back to the silent world. Hand signals work well but being able to talk and use hand signs actually makes it better. Again I want to thank everyone for replying and to clear the air...This thread was NOT intended to sell Scuba Voice. I personally wanted to know what professional divers thought and what they use as far as comm units go. We will be at DEMA so ask for J.P. and I will be happy to meet any of you. This board is the best I have ever seen and my hat goes off to the Makers of SCUBA BOARD. Thank you, J.P.

J.P.,
I couldn't help but LOL when I read your last post, I apoligize for starting this again, but you said "I personally wanted to know what professional divers thought and what they use as far as comm units go. " Hate to burst your bubble, but Professional divers use Professional gear. In saying that, they can't and won't rely on something that has a gray area so to speak...

To be contiuned...

Mario :D

Ok Mario you always try to get in the last word...The truth is this is built for the recreational diver. The divers that dive daily to the twice a year diver are the ones that need a real communication that works but cost within a typical piece of diving equipment price range. Now if you use a 10,000 system you need a 10,000.00 communication unit. I know when I meet a shop owner who sells regular electronic communication gear he tels me he is lucky to sell 4 per year. I am talking about the sport diver, but I'm glad to get the report from the pro's. I don't understand what this "Gray" area thing is but No underwater communication is Perfect. Ours works every time, nothing to break,run down or flood. As a tester in California said, "it's not AT&T, but it's better than a cell phone" See ya later...J.P.

[Edited by J.P. on 12-29-2000 at 11:58 PM]

:mission:JP, what's your demo schedule at DEMA? In the pool? I made a device that should give you a run for your money!

I will be in New Orleans this sunday and through DEMA. I have a pool about 15 minutes from the convention center I will be using. I have over 20 other demo's to do that week but if you come by our booth I will be happy to talk to you. I thought THIS thread was booted off because I did not see it and finally found it on another topic board? I now have a lot of profesional people using it and I will show you and whoever else how good it is. I asked an I got the replys from you guys and that is that. The last few weeks has proved to us that Scuba Voice is here to stay and I will be at DEMA smiling really big. Thanks for letting me know this thread was not deleted and as far as I am concerned this thread is over. I will be more than happy to demo and show anyone our product. Thank's again and see ya at DEMA, booth # 3805 and ask for J.P.

Wait a minute bucko. What about the 100K you shot your mouth off about? I went and made a unit to test against yours because you challenged everyone. I hope your product works better then your marketing because it stinks!

OK smart... I don't know where you get off being rude but I told you to come on down and I'll show you but, I really don't have time fool around with child games. You have no right to put down something you have never tried. Come find me at Dema and we'll discuss this like adults.

J.P. & DeepSea, Just in case you were wondering about the slight changes in wording to the endings of your posts, I personally chose to tune it down a notch.

This is obviously a sensitive subject for you J.P., and believe me that I understand your passion here. But you would have to admit that DeepSea has a valid point. Though it may not have sounded very nice at the time, I can also see why he is upset.

It looks to me like some promises were made in the spirit of advertising. One other member in turn went out and invested time and money to build something that he feels can compete with your product. I for one think that if a guy is going to exert that kind of energy, he has more than likely tested your product, anything else would be foolish. Think of it this way. What if by some chance that product is better than the one you sell... wouldn't you like the benefit of being able to work for a guy whom has a better product? Don't get me wrong, I have no way of knowing if that's the case or not, but I'm just saying, why not keep a clear mind about it too? DEMA is a chance for us all to see what's up, I for one won't turn down the opportunity to see this exchange take place, but it does need to be civil.

This site is different from other sites out there. The fact that we care so much to keep it friendly makes it different. I'd hate to see this site get tarnished just because of a little pushing and shoving. In a couple of weeks we'll be talking about Pepsi vs. Coke, or Ford vs Chevy, or Glock vs Sig Saur etc etc, My point is that we will remain to have contact and learn from each other for years to come... so why not enjoy it while we're here? Remove the bitterness from between the monitor and the back of the chair, and we are once again in first class.

How about a truce guys, we'll all get together at DEMA and take a look at everyone's toys. Regardless of the outcome, we'll make a promise to add tactful spice to the boards and call it a day.

There is no need to wait ... those are easy questions to answer with no room for debate!

COKE over Pepsi (If you like Pepsi and want to save some money just water down coke, it'll last longer that way)

CHEVY over Ford (at least for all pre-1970's)

and the easiest of all to answer is the ...

SIG SAUER over Glock ... HAHAHA, like there was any doubt? NEVER! The Schweizerische Industrie-Gesellschaft products are second to none! Is it any wonder they are used by the Military Special Forces, FBI, CIA and other law enforcement agencies around the world?

But then again, you didn't even spell it right the first time around, hehe.

=-)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom