Opinions on Liquivision Lynx and Mares Icon HD Air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

socc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello guys,

I would be grateful if people that own or have used a lot the Liquivision Lynx and Mares Icon HD Air or HD Net Ready can give me some idea about these two computers.
I am looking into those two and I would like to know peoples opinion before making my mind on buying one.

Many thanks,

socc

I would go with the Lynx in order to get the Buhlmann GF algorithm.

I would go with the Lynx in order to get the Buhlmann GF algorithm.

Hi rongoodman,

Can you please justify your reply.

Thanks,

Socc

I'm not sure I need to justify an opinion, but I would prefer to avoid a proprietary implementation of RGBM in favor of a standard algorithm, in this case Buhlmann GF.

I'm not sure I need to justify an opinion, but I would prefer to avoid a proprietary implementation of RGBM in favor of a standard algorithm, in this case Buhlmann GF.

I see. Thank you for your answer.
I think I however need something more than just the algorithm to decide. It would be good if you use any of the two and you can give some comments on what you like and what you do not !

Thanks,

socc

I've used the LYNX for 2 years now. Here are some thoughts:

Incredibly reliable ultrasonic transmitter. 100 meter range
Reliably read buddy's gas pressure. Can read pressure for 9 divers.
Tapping to navigate screens, functions and settings. No buttons
Readability and clarity of screen
Convenient small size of unit
Great customer support

Dislikes:
Uses batteries quickly. Best to get 2 sets of rechargeables. One set in the unit and one set charging. Switch them out each night.
Software updates. This could be a good thing too. It's a simple procedure using a link sent through email once or twice a year.

Overall, it's one of my favorite toys!

I see. Thank you for your answer.
I think I however need something more than just the algorithm to decide. It would be good if you use any of the two and you can give some comments on what you like and what you do not !

Thanks,

socc

Well, since I'm buying the computer to run a deco algorithm, what it runs is at the top of my list. I've used other Liquivision computers, although not the Lynx, and very much like their OLED display. I also see that the Mares will lock you out for various violations, which the Lynx won't, as far as I can tell.

I've used the LYNX for 2 years now. Here are some thoughts:

Incredibly reliable ultrasonic transmitter. 100 meter range
Reliably read buddy's gas pressure. Can read pressure for 9 divers.
Tapping to navigate screens, functions and settings. No buttons
Readability and clarity of screen
Convenient small size of unit
Great customer support

Dislikes:
Uses batteries quickly. Best to get 2 sets of rechargeables. One set in the unit and one set charging. Switch them out each night.
Software updates. This could be a good thing too. It's a simple procedure using a link sent through email once or twice a year.

Overall, it's one of my favorite toys!

Well, since I'm buying the computer to run a deco algorithm, what it runs is at the top of my list. I've used other Liquivision computers, although not the Lynx, and very much like their OLED display. I also see that the Mares will lock you out for various violations, which the Lynx won't, as far as I can tell.

Hi guys,

Thank you for your replies.
I am leaning towards to lynx, it does seems like a great piece of kit.
I will wait a bit more to see if more people will also share their opinion.

Thanks,

socc

Enjoy never quite knowing how well your battery tray will survive the constant battery swaps. And be sure to try the tap interface before buying one - some love it, others tolerate it, and some hate it with the fire of ten thousand suns.

I used the Mares HD Icon AI when it came out and returned it. It had programming bugs, at least with the PC software, battery issues, cable connection issues, and was built like a brick.

Back
Top Bottom