Opinions on Oceanic VT3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been diving my VT3 for about 2 years as well and have had no problems and I have never noticed that it has lost link while diving. I would recommend one of the wrist mounts(Oceanic,DSS) over the retractor mount. Like has been said it is full of features and allows you to grow into it as you progress.

......The VT3 with the retractor compass mount is tempting me. Any opinions? .....
The VT3 comes with a free Online Class if you register it with Oceanic.

Alberto (aka eDiver)

I have been really impressed with the VT3. The best part about it is that it is made 100% in the United States, as well as all of Oceanic's regulators. They have there factory in Oakland CA. I have dove with the VT3 many time and have been very happy with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
after doing a lot of research I went with the Aeris Elite T3 (same thing as VT3). I've had it around 2 years as its relatively new but still had a bunch of good reviews when I bought it.

It is all I could ask for and more.

What I like:
-The wireless has never lost signal for me.

-You never have to press any of the buttons while diving because it displays everything you need on the main screen and is VERY easy to read (even on night dives without the backlight on [via flashlight peripheral light]).

-I find myself checking my computer MORE because its my pressure gauge AND computer. This adds a certain level of safety to my diving I would say. Honestly, if I were to not go wireless, I would just get a console computer because having both levels in the same place is very convenient, I would hate to be switching from my gauge to my computer and thinking: "So does my air time or dive time run out first?"

-It uses a fairly liberal algorithm, which is great. I never push limits and always take longer than "recommended" safety stops and would never recommend pushing its limits. However, it is nice when you have 5 minutes of bottom time left (as you spot a lobster in hiding) while another buddy team is scurrying to the anchor line because one of them has a Suunto (just sayin!).

-I wear mine on my wrist because I prefer it there and so I have one less hose (no console), just run a button gauge on my 1st stage in the rare event that my comp would fail underwater that I could still ensure that I have enough air to make it to exit or need to share with a buddy.

-I havent bothered with gas switching or buddy gas checking, even though I got my brother the same comp as a gift (shows how much I like this comp), but its nice to know it has those features if I really want to toy around with them. In reality, I don't do the buddy gas check because the transmitter range is probably ~10ft which is not always in range of your buddy and I didn't want to deal with any transmitter lost alerts or whatever might pop up since he can manage his own air just fine.

-The PC log software that it comes with is really good.

-Notice no one has had any negative comments about this computer yet. If mine were to break today and be unfixable. I would probably buy the same computer or newer version in the same line. I've toyed with the Mares Icon HD but without a wireless option YET (they say its coming soon) and the much higher price tag, you get the best bang-for-your buck with the T3.

To be aware of:
-The only thing that I found bothered me with this computer was when ascending, every time i would raise my computer from my side to view it, it would say I was going up too fast (just because I was raising my wrist quickly). Kind of not fair to the PC since it shows how sensitive it is to speed. In its defense, a Suunto user told me that if he ascends too quickly it adds time onto his needed surface interval and/or takes time away from his next dive. That seemed wrong to me if thats actually how they work and I'm sure there is some detail that I'm missing. The T3 will NOT do that to you.

-Also it uses a 3-button navigation system and a lot of the navigating is very complicated and cannot be done without the user manual. I recommend plugging your computer into your PC because you can set up all the default settings (surface stop depth, duration, transmitter polling time, default units, etc) from there and its a million times easier than using the console to do it and honestly they could cut out 100 pages from the manual if you just had to set it up via PC.

-That being said: memorize how to set your nitrox % and read about how it works because it defaults to your previous mix (I think) so I double and triple check my mix before going in because if it resets and you start your dive on a different mix then you're screwed.

-Synching dives is tricky (you'll see what I mean) because the dives are named oddly and its hard to figure out which ones you are synching and if you double synch a dive that was previously synched it becomes a gong show. I'm sure other systems are the same way.

I know this post was only about our opinions about it but I hope you can use this once you have purchased the computer because I love mine and I hope you do to and can avoid/anticipate any complexities!

I just purchased the ET3.Since my previous computer,took a dump after a recent trip.I'm relieved:D to read the positive reception everyone of the Divers who owns a AerisET3 or the clone VT3.After agonizing for three months of review/research,I was eyeing the Suunto Vyper/Air, my final decision was to buy the Aeris ET3.It should be nice not having another hose.The only concern I have is the battery alarm,going off so soon,at 2.75 & again at 2.5.I spoke to a tech at Aeris on this ,I remarked about it was less than 1/3 of its total.Other than you press the alarm,no further change is in store....

The VT3 has "old style" menu navigation system, which does sound convoluted when compared to the new styles like the UEMIS or Atomic Cobalt. However, really, it ain't that hard to use. Inconvenient but not difficult.

I never downloaded my dive log, so I don't know how easy it is. But a fellow diver has the watch version (a bit smaller) and he downloaded everything just fine.

memorize how to set your nitrox % and read about how it works because it defaults to your previous mix (I think) so I double and triple check my mix before going in because if it resets and you start your dive on a different mix then you're screwed.

It depends on how you have it configured. There's an option called "Default P02 50%" that resets your Nitrox setting to 50% after every Nitrox dive. I hate it and make sure it's always OFF. I believe that's the default now but you should check this.

If that option is OFF, the VT3 will keep the Nitrox setting of the last dive for 24 hours and then reset it to "AIR" after that.

-Charles

Back
Top Bottom