Opinions on the Spare Air by SSI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I worked as a videographer I seriously considered getting a SpareAir 6. I hate to think how many times I have been alone, fairly deep without a diver in sight while filming.

Another instructor and I used them in the Maldives whilst being 'stunt doubles' for a Schwarzkopf hair commercial so I have a little experience in using them underwater.[FONT=arial, sans-serif][/FONT]

I have experience running LOA and then OOA one time through my own error: changing on to an empty tank and not checking gauges. I guess it depends on the diver but for me the options quickly went through my head, and I turned my group (yep, I was on the job) to find another guide behind me who had a hotel staff member with whom I did an OOA ascent and my group continued with the other guide. I had done around 500 dives at this stage and was well on the way to developing a killer attitude towards diving.

In my case I had a good couple of mins before going OOA after feeling I was LOA and confiming with my SPG. This could depend on a lot of factors. In my case I was at about 14m, 25mins into my 3rd dive of the day, breathing N32 from an AL80 with Aqualung Legend balanced reg.

For the size and ease of deployment, I think a SpareAir 6 would be handy in certain diving situations for certain divers.

I have a related question. Would a 19cf pony attached to a HP 80 cause any trim issues, or is just not an issue due to their bouancy specs? I have not been diving at depths below 60' but if my buddy and I would like to do a deeper dives in the future, I like the idea of a pony.

i would think it would depend on the tank and what reg set up you use. will it have - or + bouyancy ?
my 6cf w/regs did not change my total weight needed to dive but i did find i needed to put a couple of pounds in one of the rear trim pockets on the opposite side of the tank to offset the weight of the pony and reg. it seemd to help with my side-to-side balance in the water. without it i felt like my bcd/tank were always pulling a bit to one side. so with a bigger 19cf tank i would think this may be a small problem as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom