Opinions on the Spare Air by SSI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I was doing a cave dive or wreck penetration, I would go with at least a 30cf back up.
So if I want to do a cave dive, get a Discover Scuba Leader certification and a 30cf back up and I'm all set?

I'm not sure what size tank is required to protect from stupid.

I don't think any tank can protect from stupid. You have to go this route.
bubbleboypic.jpg

I threw down for one a while back when flush with cash, but after trying it out a few times and realizing how little protection it provided I quit carrying it. Now it's a toy for 12' spring dives off the boat.

I threw down for one a while back when flush with cash, but after trying it out a few times and realizing how little protection it provided I quit carrying it. Now it's a toy for 12' spring dives off the boat.
Sell it on ebay. Many suckers with paypal...!

They are handy for some who own swimming pools.

I'm with Thallassmania on this. I have never carried a "spare air" canister. If I was doing a cave dive or wreck penetration, I would go with at least a 30cf back up. But on recreational dives, I prefer to plan my dive, dive my plan, with a buddy who does the same, and monitor my air supply regularly.
DivemasterDennis

I really hope that comment doesn't come post cave training. If so, go smack your instructor and ask for your money back.

Paintball cylinder? :idk:

If anybody wants it that bad, they are gonna get it. Of course they will be dissapointed as the pressure quickly drops on the second fill. :wink:

i have posted elsewhere once before on this topic. simply put imo......if a diver wants a true redundant air supply, dive twins. if a diver wants to carry a small compact system of their choice on holiday to have a back up supply with enough air to easily make it to a buddy that has strayed, or to make it to the surface on their own in a "real" emergency, then a small "spare air" type set up is a valid option. i do not think anyone here would be nieve enough to think that a diver can do a controlled ascent from 100 feet plus do any and all safety stops on a 3cf bottle. but it should be enough to make it to a buddy or to the surface on shallower dives. i recently bought a 6cf bottle, a sherwood brut reg, the bracket to attach it to my cylinder, and the tank to tank hose to fill it. i got 40 good size breaths at 30 feet. i should get roughly 20 breathes at 90 to 100 feet. that is plenty of air to get to my buddy (who of course would never be more than 10 feet away right ?? well, at least mine wouldn't, but i have dove with some who do. ya turn your back for a few seconds and they're gone) that system cost me under 400 bucks. and in the future if i want to get a larger 13 or 19cf to use at home, all i need is the bottle.
i think someone earlier said it best when they said (something like)......the smaller spare air are fine as long as you don't include it in your dive planning.

Back
Top Bottom