Opinions on used gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My opinion is that the difference between new and used gear is what side of the LDS door you are on. With little exception, I buy used, and anything I have bought new is converted to used shortly thereafter. It is more important that it continue to peform well fufilling the function you purchaced it for, rather than how much you paid.

The main reason I have for buying used is to avoid spending $500 for a reg set. Everyone has their own idea of what is best and what they are willing to pay for it, good luck and I hope it turns out to be a good deal for you.

Bob

Factor in 100 - 150 for service -- one should ALWAYS have a used regulator serviced. Assuming the regulator is working at all prior, it should be repairable even if there are some minor problems. But used regs have to be a good deal to overcome the additional cost for the service.

Also realize that hoses have a lifespan, so if these are old, you might end up replacing them soon.

The emerging service protocol supported by most larger manufacturers is service every other year with inspection on the intervening years. While my taste for regulators is more in the $50 to $100 range, the Mk25/A700 is a top of the line regulator and that price is fair. If you decide to go with it, I would suggest you take it to a good shop (look around and ask) and get it inspected, not serviced. Then decide what service is required. Or, you could even do your own inspection if you are mechanically inclined and willing to quickly learn about how regulators operate.

The item in question is a Scubapro Mk25/A700, 3 gauge console boot with Uwtec Pressure Gauge and hose and Uwtec Compass and LPI hose for $500. The first and second stage alone go for over $800.
I sell a lot of used Scubapro gear. You should ask: When was it made? When was a full annual service last done? What condition is the gear? Does it perform to Spec.? How many dives does it have? Have you seen a picture of the gear? Does the used gear meet your needs?

The deal may be good depending on the answers to the above questions.

The reg is first rate, so quality is always a factor, but plan on negotiating it down. Remind them that you are going to have to have your guy service it first, so his bench test is irrelevant. Any warranties the gear had are also void for the second owner. Nothing speaks like cash, so make sure you are doing it safely, but holding a wad of bills and offering him $350 is a powerful incentive. Or if he has other interesting gear get him to throw it in the pot for free.

$500 is a fair price for what you describe, but not stellar. The computer console may be 10 years old and not very desirable. His job is to keep the price up and yours is to drive it down.... And he doesn't want to have talk to a second guy that might offer him the same except by check...

Probably 80% of the gear I bought for my family (4 divers) was used. Bcd's, wet suits, even some masks and fins, and all the tanks were used. Most is high end and was a great deal. Most was full sets from people that either did not have time to dive or didn't like it. Most was a good enough deal that I didn't care if a few of the pieces were older. Only possible regret was the two sets of like new Dacor Extreme regs ( but I bought that set for the 4 tanks and 2 Bcd's so the regs didn't really matter). They don't make service kits anymore and they are huuuuge and very heavy but actually breath better than most regs I've used. I did buy all new Hog Edge regulators, October, and gauges sets for everyone though. Everything else was used. You can find incredible deals going into fall on Craigslist.Good luck,Jay

Fully equipped my wife and I for about $1000 including the cost of servicing and repairs. HP hoses tend to be bad on old regs it seems and run 25-40 to replace depending on source.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

You should buy new and have a warrantee. Leave the used stuff for us.

The item I saw was on EBay and in the pics that were posted of it, it looked like it was in good shape. I emailed the seller and asked him how old it was and how many dives it had on it. He replied to me after it was sold, which was fine because he didn't know anything about it. His reply was basically the I don't know anything about it I just fix things answer.

BRT, you a sneaky dog. Lol. I'm gonna capitalize on the deals too.

Thanks for the input everyone.

It looks like you've already missed the "deal" but here's my take on it:

Personally I wouldn't pay that much for a used set of regs. >$300 is more than I consider a bargain, no matter what the brand is. As example I bought a Scubapro MK10/G250 (ancestor to what you were looking at but very similar quality and new price point) with a console, a computer, and a BCD for $325 total.

Also, Scubapro are often more expensive to service, though they are great regs, in my opinion. There are better "deals" to be had though.

For the record "when it was made" has zero bearing on the quality of the reg unless the manufacturer is defunct (still possible to get some things serviced but more difficult) or the reg was very badly treated (still possible to service and dive in many cases). Here's my primer for buying used: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ba...ying-used-discriminating-shoppers-primer.html

As for drysuits, I've bought two of them, both used. One was a DUI TLS 350 in near perfect condition, with knee and elbow patches, a thigh pocket, pee valve... the works. $200 or $250 for a $2000+ dry suit. (Integrated "socks" were a tad on the small side but after a thorough cleaning they are more flexible now and fit fine.) For the record, this deal was a once in a lifetime thing... don't expect to find something like this happen. The other suit is an old OMS that is in meh condition. Laminate is good, seams need to be retaped and needs all new seals all around. I bought it for $100. If I hadn't bought the second suit as a part donor for a DIY project I wouldn't have bought it at all but I can still get it dive ready for <$300 more.

Thanks again for your input, guys. Casey from Beaver Divers got a hold of me, gave me some good advice a good deal on some new and used gear.

If I'm looking to get something, I figuring I'll take it on a case by case (item by item) basis and trust my gut if it doesn't feel right, but I'll do used if I can unless I absolutely have to have new.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom