Opinions on used gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am not a huge fan of gear on e-bay. I know a lot of shops get rid of old rental gear on e-bay so they aren't flooding the local market. The other problem is I don't want to have a "learning experience" that cost me $200 and a lot of hassles. I have gone to look at plenty of gear in some one's garage and found that the gear to be a lot less than I thought it would be. Much easier to walk away from a piece of beat-up junk if you still have the money in your pocket. This is especially true for items like BCD's which have fabric and straps that might be glued instead of stitched. I was looking at a BCD for my daughter that was a good name brand. It turned out to be much older than I was originally told and some parts that were glued were falling apart. Ancient wetsuits get less stretchy with age (and the materials are steadily improving). What looks gook on cellphone picture may be unwearable in RL. The last light I bought on e-bay was priced and described like it was an almost new LED lamp, what I got was the exact except with a conventional bulb. Re-reading the ad, it implied it was LED, but never explicitly stated it. $35 learning experience.

Caveat Emptor is always the rule when buying used gear, especially sight unseen. Personally I've had good luck via ebay, Craigslist, and a couple of other options (including here on SB) but I'm always ready to repair gear myself if necessary so I can find things a little easier than if I only wanted to get "shop serviceable" gear.

If you bought gear from Beaverdivers it's very likely reasonably well maintained Scubapro gear. (They push a lot of scubapro gear.) If you're happy with it and they're happy with it, win win. Now get out there and get it wet! (Do as I say, not as I do.)

Casey, at Beaver Divers, was awesome. He was one of the first people that I was able to talk to that answered my questions with questions to better help me narrow down gear choices. Yes, he deals with Scubapro, but I've been looking at Scubapro. I've done snorkeling in tha past and always went with Scubapro. It's been around for a long time and has a good reputation.

I got a used but very new MK17 on which he has given me a one year warranty. I paired that with a G260 Tactical (my choice). I don't believe in half assing gear when your life depends on it. I learned that in my career. If I have to pay a few bucks extra for the right things, I'm ok with that. Since we m just starting, I'm not going nuts, but I've been wanting this since I was a kid.

While I'm here, what would be a good beginners dive comp? Entry level is fine since at some point I can use it as a backup.

I bought most of my stuff used when certified 10 years ago. The wetsuit lasted 10 years (replaced just now). Same for used reg (Mares). Tanks-mine from 1993 (Aluminums)--as long as they pass visual & hydro I still use them. The big thing may be I rinse it all thoroughly after each day of diving.

My opinion is that when you don't know much about he topic, you should by new.

Example, I don't know much about internals of a jetski, I'd never buy a used one without going through a dealership, I simply don't know what to look for. I mean, you could put an engine from a lawn mower there and I would think it is factory made. I know cars but I never seen underhood of a jetski.

Similarly, when starting a hobby as unlike as anything else you know (got to admit that scuba is rather different from other life experiences for most people), it is impossible to know what to expect from gear choices, why this and not that, what to look for, what to watch out for.

Point is, if you are getting new, yes, you are being screwed on price. I know that, you know that. A dealer knows that. We all know. But what I am getting in return - a fully functioning (however, overpriced) piece of equipment that is warranted. If stupid me doesn't know how to use a feature or I try and it doesn't work out, there is always a helpful seller working off his fee explaining me, the dumb ass, what goes where and why. I keep my ears open and learn. After some time I become at least knowledgeable in basics, then intermediate, and so on. At some point I am no longer afraid to by used equipment because I know how it should look like and what to watch out for.

Take this example and image one bought something used. Say I bought a jetski from craigslist and seller seemed trustworthy. Then I take it to a shop and find out that I need to replace this and that. Sure I can keep using A, B, and C, but don't blame the repairman if I get stranded in the middle of a lake... Soon you find out that for a price to repair a jetski you could have bought from a dealer a working one and a better model. So, you just paid for your education.

Thus, to a new diver, I'd recommend to buy new gear unless there is a family member or a good friend who knows scuba gear well.

Scuba gear is a life support equipment. Sometimes it is not the convenience of a new gear that matters, sometimes you got to think, how much your life is worth. Is it worth a discount?

I am not dissing used gear. I am making a point that a new diver would make more mistakes buying used gear than new.

Example, I don't know much about internals of a jetski, I'd never buy a used one without going through a dealership, I simply don't know what to look for. I mean, you could put an engine from a lawn mower there and I would think it is factory made. I know cars but I never seen underhood of a jetski.

Similarly, when starting a hobby as unlike as anything else you know (got to admit that scuba is rather different from other life experiences for most people), it is impossible to know what to expect from gear choices, why this and not that, what to look for, what to watch out for.

Point is, if you are getting new, yes, you are being screwed on price. I know that, you know that. A dealer knows that. We all know. But what I am getting in return - a fully functioning (however, overpriced) piece of equipment that is warranted. If stupid me doesn't know how to use a feature or I try and it doesn't work out, there is always a helpful seller working off his fee explaining me, the dumb ass, what goes where and why. I keep my ears open and learn. After some time I become at least knowledgeable in basics, then intermediate, and so on. At some point I am no longer afraid to by used equipment because I know how it should look like and what to watch out for.

Take this example and image one bought something used. Say I bought a jetski from craigslist and seller seemed trustworthy. Then I take it to a shop and find out that I need to replace this and that. Sure I can keep using A, B, and C, but don't blame the repairman if I get stranded in the middle of a lake... Soon you find out that for a price to repair a jetski you could have bought from a dealer a working one and a better model. So, you just paid for your education.

Thus, to a new diver, I'd recommend to buy new gear unless there is a family member or a good friend who knows scuba gear well.

Scuba gear is a life support equipment. Sometimes it is not the convenience of a new gear that matters, sometimes you got to think, how much your life is worth. Is it worth a discount?

I am not dissing used gear. I am making a point that a new diver would make more mistakes buying used gear than new.

Yes, you are right about one thing - you don't know much.

Buying dive gear is a lot like buying a new car , you lose half as soon as you drive / dive it off the lot .

I confess , everything I use I bought used , most of it on ebay , maybe I am just really lucky

To Start, You are not getting screwed on price. You buy new, you get new. What you are getting buying new from the dealer is value added. You want the shops expertise, that is part of the package. Is it more than Craig's List? Of course, you are going to have to pay for the bargains by servicing them and you are not going to get a warranty. Buying from the guy that fills your tank keeps the compressor running. OTH, a crappy dealer whether in a shop or the back of a truck in the Holiday swap meet can lead sell you crappy gear. Buying anything is about your judgement, new or used.

If you want to buy new and it makes you feel better about diving, do what makes you comfortable. In fairness, most regulator manufacturer stopped including asbestos dust and broken glass in there regulator in the 1980s. Buying used has it risks. A used Jetski might have had the engine swapped out with a lawn mower's, but that risk is yours to identify. Have the bloody thing serviced by someone that knows what they are doing. Jetskis are considerably more complicated than entry level Scuba gear.

Open Circuit diving gear is almost (but not quite) idiot proof. Divers die from bad planning and bad judgement much more frequently than they do from faulty gear. It does need to be maintained (coincidental with the universal refrain of have used gear serviced). Even the Asbestos and broken glass filled units with proper servicing will deliver air safely....*

*In case you can't figure it out, I was kidding about the asbestos and broken glass

Buying dive gear is a lot like buying a new car , you lose half as soon as you drive / dive it off the lot .

I confess , everything I use I bought used , most of it on ebay , maybe I am just really lucky

Actually, a car holds it's value much better than scuba gear and the markup is a lot less on that car. Plus you can regularly find better deals than MSRP.

Reactions: BRT
If you want to buy used gear, get an experienced diver to help with your initial purchases and have them tell you the qualities or nuances about how to tell whether the gear is going to function and if it is worth the value.

This worked great for me when i did my first gear purchase. I got a mix of used and new gear plus saved a lot of money.

Your mentor can also help you look up the qualities of the gear and compare between brands. For example a piston first stage made by scubapro will have similar innards to the halcyon and subgear versions all at different prices. Research the difference between piston and diaphragm first stages and compare the specifications to where you will be diving. I like my mk25/s600/r395 ($300 used purchase) combo just fine for the dives from 45-80 degree water. I picked up two Faber LP108s for $200. When i can outdive that setup then i may think about upgrading, but for now it works just fine.

Back
Top Bottom