Opinions please.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GA Under Water

Divemaster
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
Headed to Belize in January. Anone heard of these guys and the Diving they offer. The Condo we are renting suggests them and they have a Diving package that is listed below.

Ambergris Caye

http://www.ambergrisdivers.com/main.htm

WEEK LONG PREPAID DIVE PACKAGE
Ambergrisdivers
*SPECIAL*
$450
Includes:
2 tank reef dives
1 night dive
1 Blue Hole day trip
Hol Chan Shark Ray Snorkel trip (½ day)

Sound like a GREAT deal to me. But want to see if anyone has used them and what their opinions may be. I mean 5 days of Diving for $450 it sounds good to me. Especially with a Blue hole Day.

Am I reading your post right? It sounds like only 4 dives and 1 snorkling trip. If this is accurate it seems pretty expensive to me. Boat dives in that area average about $30-$40 a tank.

If you're looking for a great deal in Belize, check out Glover's Atol. They offer 1 week's lodging, all meals, 13 dives, and cayak rental for the week on a private island for $850. The diving is spectacular. No crowds. Pristeen dive sites that don't get dived by hords of divers. When I went the dive boat averaged about 4 divers, and sometimes it was just me and the DM. The island had 13 guests I think. The lodging is in thached huts on stilts over the water. I saw 19 dolphins on one dive there, as well as sharks, rays, octopuses, turtles, etc.

I havn't been to the blue hole, but I've heard it's over rated. Huge crowds - like diving in a shopping mall.

Not to be a kill joy, but I had a friend who went to believe and loved every minute of it with the exception of the Blue Hole. They know you're a tourist and will overcharge you for that dive. Other than that, you can't really put a price on Belize...

GA Under Water:
Headed to Belize in January. Anone heard of these guys and the Diving they offer. The Condo we are renting suggests them and they have a Diving package that is listed below.

Ambergris Caye

http://www.ambergrisdivers.com/main.htm

WEEK LONG PREPAID DIVE PACKAGE
Ambergrisdivers
*SPECIAL*
$450
Includes:
2 tank reef dives
1 night dive
1 Blue Hole day trip

It's hard to say what this means. Does it mean 2 tank reef dives every day? That's not bad if thats what it means. The two minute trips out to the reef there are pretty good.

What does the blue hole trip involve? If you are taking a 2.5 hour trip each way for teh world's most overrated dive alone, then say "no thank you." If they go on to do two more dives on nearby reefs, then that is worth it, because the other two dives will be great.

All told, it's not a bad deal, but not a "super can't miss" deal.

I don't know the company. Go to the appropriate travel forum and ask. You will get good advice.

In general you will find that diving in Belize and Honduras is cheaper than in the southern US. That is unless you are going first class, five star and want to spend some money. You can find that down there too. Just remember that they don't have a Coast Guard that's worth a **** in either country also.

jefffalcone:
Am I reading your post right? It sounds like only 4 dives and 1 snorkling trip. If this is accurate it seems pretty expensive to me. Boat dives in that area average about $30-$40 a tank.

If you're looking for a great deal in Belize, check out Glover's Atol. They offer 1 week's lodging, all meals, 13 dives, and cayak rental for the week on a private island for $850. The diving is spectacular. No crowds. Pristeen dive sites that don't get dived by hords of divers. When I went the dive boat averaged about 4 divers, and sometimes it was just me and the DM. The island had 13 guests I think. The lodging is in thached huts on stilts over the water. I saw 19 dolphins on one dive there, as well as sharks, rays, octopuses, turtles, etc.

Considerind their packages are 5 days of 2 Tank Diving $340.00 Includes Tax I am sure that it is more than 4 dives. I will be calling to confirm my interpretation :)

I wish I could get the Island and do nothing but Dive, but alas, the sig-other has to have her fun too and that requires other things besides diving.

GA Under Water:
Considerind their packages are 5 days of 2 Tank Diving $340.00 Includes Tax I am sure that it is more than 4 dives. I will be calling to confirm my interpretation :)

I wish I could get the Island and do nothing but Dive, but alas, the sig-other has to have her fun too and that requires other things besides diving.

A private island is romantic. :wink:

A couple actually got engaged there while I was staying there. Here's a link to their site. http://www.glovers.com.bz/

We just got back from Belize a few weeks ago. If you want to read my review of the places you'll be diving, here's the links:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=194041 - Blue Hole
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=194465 - other Belize dive sites

I would definitely verify what dives are included. We did five days of diving, two dives a day, except for the Blue Hole which had three dives on that day, so eleven dives total. Plus a full lunch on three of the days. We paid about $480 pp. So if you are getting five days of 2-tank diving, including the Blue Hole, PLUS a half-day snorkel trip, that's a good deal. But I'm not sure that's what you're actually getting.

Ok sorry I waited to post again so long. This diving is

2 tank reef dives (Daily for the week Can pick Morning or afternoon around the Reef that is abot 1/2 mile out from the shore They pickup on the pier outside the condo we are renting)
1 night dive (At night of course)
1 Blue Hole day trip (You pick the day you want to go or the day picks you if there aren't many tourists, 3 dives Blue Hole, Lighthouse, Atoll I think is the 3rd dive)

Ala Mode deals for the spouse that doesn't want to dive every day but wants to join you one the trips you go one a couple days.

Back
Top Bottom