Opinions Please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nikyyo

Contributor
Reaction score
Well I have finally relented and will buy my first ever Digital camera. I have a trip to Turks and Caicos in December and a trip to Thailand in February and want to take some land shots as well as underwater shots. Here's the thing though: I don't like reading manuals and I can't spend a lot of money. I just want something basic, easy to understand, and reasonably affordable. I was thinkinag about the Olympus d-580. I can get it for around $150.00 from Amazon.com (I have a 50 dollar credit with them which I will use), and the pt021 housing for around 155.00 from 17th street photo. This is an affordable package. I was wondering if anyone on the board had any opinions on this camera set up. I will not be getting a strobe anytime soon (at least it is my intention not to). I really just want to take decent pics above and below the water. Thanks for your help.

Sorry...I'm not familiar with that particular Oly model. We'll need more info such as how many MP, what controls do you have available.

If you want to learn to use any camera effectively, you better get over not reading manuals. If you don't learn to use it properly, the only photos you'll get are snap shots.

I also am not familar with the camera, but it looks simular to our stylus and for point and shoot photos it's pretty good.

I found a review on the D-580 and it seems that it has a shorter lag time (which is kinda important for UW photography) and is 35mm equivalent. Pretty cool.

I am sure with an Olympus you can't really go wrong - and as Dee says read the manual - you be a better photographer with this camera because of it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom