Opinions re. Kraken 1000c, Ano (CL6000/CL6000X Canister)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

freename

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
A bit of background... I need a canister light for a tech course I'm taking, and all my current lights are... underwhelming. I have the possibility of buying a Kraken 1000c for fairly cheap from one shop, but I'm not convinced by the specs. At another shop, I'm being offered a discount (as their student in this case) for an Ano light. I could get the CL2300 canister, but the battery doesn't look long enough for me to comfortably use for my long hose routing... though its specs seem to blow the Kraken 1000c out of the water - if the numbers can be believed. I'm leaning towards the CL6000/CL6000X for its shape - well, that and the light thing. Light can be handy. Though I am not a fan of the cost, it may be worth it.

I'm mostly a cold, dark water diver because that's what I have locally... so, I'm wanting to get something reasonably good. But I'm also not wanting to break the bank, because I have a lot of other financial pressures at the moment... beyond just the additional gear I'm needing. I know, it shocks me too that there is anything beyond the gear. But, I also want something that actually performs. I've bought based on specs before, and have been sorely disappointed.

Anyway, I was hoping to get some opinions on the two (or, three, I suppose) light options I've mentioned - as well as whether there are other options I should be considering. The lights I've mentioned should give you a sense as to my preferred price point...

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

the CL6000 is a great light, but it's a video light. The spread is far too wide for primary use, especially in murky water.
The CL2300X is also available from ANO which has the longer canister and is plenty for hooking the long hose.

why do you need a canister? how long are the dives you are wanting to do? There are other ways of hooking the long hose up in backmount, and if you're not doing dives that are well over an hour, you may be better off with backup lights

Thanks for your reply tbone... your comments confuse me a little though. I was playing with the CL2300 and CL6000(?) in the dive shop, they looked very similar to me. (But, I'm no expert on lights by any means!) The brochure I picked up does show the CL6000 having a much larger beam angle (20 degrees vs. 8 degrees) but neither is described as a video light (as opposed to, say, "V1800 Video Light" or "CV6000/CV6000X Canister Video Light" - both with a 120 degree beam angle). Is there a specific spread that you'd say separates video from primary?

And, I take it that the "X" refers to the longer canister size?

Right now, this is for my TDI AN/DP course but ideally I want to buy something that will serve as a reasonable primary for however far I may go in tech... at least until I have a better cash flow and can upgrade. I have a bunch of hand-held backup lights, and some other horrible decisions that probably shouldn't be classified as backup lights (or even "oh crap, the power went out, I need to find my way to the circuit breaker" flashlights). Including one phenomenally awful canister light that proves one shouldn't buy solely based on price and specs.

I did an/dp and helitrox. All in cold, dark water. Haven't needed a canister light yet.

I am currently using Xtar D26 lights as my primary and backup. They are really bright and, with a 26650 battery in each they have plenty of burn time for any dives I'll be doing. I would only need a can light when I get to the point of doing long cave dives. Or maybe long CCR dives.

I'm not buying a can light until I actually need one. Lighting tech is changing fairly quickly. Buying before you need it means by the time you do actually need it, what you bought will be outdated. I.e. If you wait, you can get something better for the same budget.

@freename 20* is far too wide for a primary light unless you are in the most ideal water conditions due to backscatter. 8* is really the max that I would consider for a primary light under most conditions. 20* is also going to be very difficult to signal with and that is rather critical for technical diving.

the X in the name refers to a double battery pack. Longer canister, 2x burn time.

what lights do you have now? There are some upgrades that can be done depending on which canister light you have that will give you a light that is as good or better than the ANO's and the backup lights may well be sufficient for technical diving with an appropriate goodman handle/sock

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom