optimal nauticam housing and ports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nudibranco

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Tavolara marine park - Coda Cavallo - Sardinia -
# of dives
2500 - 4999
In the continuous quest to optimize traveling weight and flexibility without sacrificing the image quality I value tremendously the expertise of the dedicated photo community and Nauticam to allow users to fit and match M43 port and lenses. Both this board and wetpixel forums have been an excellent source of information and experience sharing.

For example I have the 9-18mm and I would love to know if it would work in a 4.33" or 3.5" dome with or without Nauticam port extensions.
The Nauticam chart is still being updated and in the works as expected...(!) but it would be nice if there is proven experience on how the various combinations with new lenses and ports would work out.

For example I heard and seen excellent pics of the FE 8mm that fit and work well in the 3.5" port. This combination is supercompact and would allow to use a small wide angle port for diagfisheye and some rectilinear lenses like the 12mm or 14mm lenses (with and without addons). But this port seems workable only for the 14mm lens in the charts. What could fit in the 3.5" and 4.33" domes with and without extensions rings and which lenses ??.

My Nauticam 4" semidome with the 9-18mm has not been used much (I have had it since september) and it sits like 2cm back from the glass... I have used much more the 12-50mm (which is proving to be a good compromise for general shooting) and the 45mm macro lens (although the 60mm seems even better). I am planning to order the 8mm with the 3.5" or 4.33" semidome.

So would the use of the shorter 3.5" or 4.33" length domes be optimal even for the 9-18mm (maybe with a 20mm extension)??. If such a combination exist, 2 ports (one for wide and FE and one for Macro) would be enough to make my handbag on Ryan Air even lighter.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Andrea

Back
Top Bottom