Optio w10 housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JGBrown

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I shoot pictures with a Pentax Optio w10, its a perfect camera for me underwater IMO because:
-Most of the backside is a large/bright LCD, no viewfinder to muck about with
-I have a lot of experience with it, with the right settings I can have it auto switch macro to regular, and I just prefocus it to the approximate distance on a hand to trip the setting change.
-it is already waterproof to 5 ft so in case of a leak it will be much more likely to survive(it already took an unintentional trip to 10')
-It has some automatic image adjustments that would be great for U/W(shutter set white balance, so I can take something white with me, and have it calibrate exactly)
-no twisty wheels, the controls are very simple, 5 button layout.
-long batterylife, I have shot upwards of 500 pictures on one charge
-very rapid focus, it uses folded optics and focus is much faster then any other PS I've used(except when switching to macro mode)
-decent shots underwater, I've shot mostly macro with frogs and newts and so on, but even in murky water it comes out nicely after the WB is adjusted

I can't find anybody who makes a housing, apparently because it is already waterproof to 5ft it is good enough, I consider that waterproofness extra insurance in case of dampness etc.
Dimensions are:
3.3 x 7.4 x 6.4 inches
it has a center lens and shutter button on one side, I don't even need all the functions just shutter, although being able to adjust the WB at depth would be nice.
I am more then happy to modify a case but no where here stocks one so I can't even check to see if it fits, I was going to use a Konica rangefinder camera case that I had free, but only the front was transparent, so it wouldn;t be much use.

any suggestions on where to look for cases would be great, I'm ok with using a soft case as well(I've seen a few for SLR's rated to 100'.)
http://http://www.pentaximaging.com/products/product_details/digital_camera--Optio_W10/reqID--7399568/subsection--optio

*BUMP* Anybody? cost isn't too much of an issue for the case, I really want the extra safety of the second waterproof layer, I don't mind modding a case I just need something with similar lens placement, a clear back and a close to right shutter button. Soft or hard, I'm willing to build the inside to push the correct buttons on my camera I just need the lens placement right.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom