Orange BCD!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Willuw

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Hi Guys,
For those who dont know, Ive done many "Resort" dives before and pratically live in the water - and I am just now finishing my OW certification and then Advanced...

I have started researching for my own gear and I was browsing scuba toys and I saw the following BCD:

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=RipTideBC

Orange happens to be my favorite color (yes, I know color is not a good reason for picking a BCD, but It is a reason for interest)
It's also interesting that say it was for a rescue operation..
Are there any comments, yays, nays, etc as to this BCD in general as well as my first "own" BCD? Unfortunately I can not try it on as they are 1000+ miles away - but ScubaToys do stand by their products..

Any comments would be greatly appreciated :D

I don't know anything aout "Riptide", but OMS and Dive Rite have RED wings. They will appear orange soon after submerging.

I would def go with DR....they make first rate equipment. That thing you posted a URL to does not look very good to me.

I seem to remember seeing one of those last year. I can't swear that is was the same one, but it was orange and had the same kind of weight pockets. It was not a BC I'd buy, light ripstop nylon over a bladder with webbing that really did not stay in place.

I have the Riptide BC.. I have over 80 dives on it and still love it. But mine is not orange....I heard the reason there are orange ones out there is there was a whole run of them made for a rescue team and they never fulfilled their obligations. So there are out there cheap....

RICHinNC:
I would def go with DR....they make first rate equipment. That thing you posted a URL to does not look very good to me.

I wasnt really asking for other companies to buy from:shakehead Saying "iit does not look very good" does not really help me at all..WHY do you not think it looks good? Give me some factual information or words of experience..Thanks!

CheddarChick:
I have the Riptide BC.. I have over 80 dives on it and still love it. But mine is not orange....I heard the reason there are orange ones out there is there was a whole run of them made for a rescue team and they never fulfilled their obligations. So there are out there cheap....

Yep, thats exactly what Scuba Toys site says :icosm01:
How do you really like it? Pros and cons?

CheddarChick seems to have the best product knowledge on this one.

Yep..
Might have to give ScubaToys a call up to and get someones opinion..For $249 I dont see how I can go *too* wrong for my first BCD..
Just would like to get some pros/cons to see how it would be for *me* as my first BCD...

ChedderChick does look like my best resource right now so..:happywave

I had looked at that model a while back and it has a nice feature list. I have not seen one to say I have examined it. The biggest thing about a BC is how it fits you.

Step 1 is to get it home and look it over.

Step 2 is to suit up at home and try it on complete with a mounted cylinder.

Step 3 is to get it in the water to make sure it at least fits as good if not better than whatever you have been renting or borrowing. Common wisdom is to at least make a pool dive with a BC before buying it.

If you dive it and are disappointed will ST take it back? At some point fit sensitive items are worth shelling out for locally.

Pete

Defintely Pete,
I am all about supporting my LDS, but this is a product that they would not carry..Im a big fan of orange and to see an orange BCD seemed to be quite unique..Im looking on the ST web site to see what their policy is with trying it on/pool dive..

Im hoping CheddarChick or another owner of this bcd can give me some guidance..But it seems like it would be a fine BCD to be my first - assuming all fit well..However I am a little new to the gear, so that is why I came here for guidance :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom