OrcaTorch New D720 Super Focus Beam Angle Dive Light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Leto, its' max output is INDEED 350lm, but this DOES NOT influence it could be an excellent explorer gear for dark waters, like in a cave. The bullet points are on SUPER FOCUS BEAM and LONG BEAM
For $460US you could have done better than 350 lm and 1.5 hr burn time, no?

Hi there, the outstanding point for D720 is the long beam distance and adjustable angles beam. It can not satisfy the high lumens and long beam distance for one light at the same time.

First of all I really like the fact that the beam is adjustable, well done! But the lumens vs burntime seems a bit strange.

A 5000mAh cell has about 18 watt (~3.7*5A) of power. With a burn of about 1.5 hr that means the emitter consumes more then 10W per hr for 350 lumens. That's only 35 lumens per watt while, for example, the populair Cree XM-L2 puts out 100 lumens per watt....

A tight focus with little spill , 3* to 18* adjustable beam .. I like it :)
I had one of packhorse modded lights with a 5* beam and it was awesome for the usually poor visibility conditions here , but it finally flooded and was not recoverable :(

I'd like to try one but the price is a bit too painful. I have an MB-Sub variable focus 3-26 degree and it's very versatile indeed, at 3 degrees it's a laser.

Looks like a nice light, hopefully someone will pay price of admission and write a review.

@OrcaTorch if you send me one, happy to pay shipping, I'll write a review for you.

Cheers.

I'd like to try one but the price is a bit too painful. I have an MB-Sub variable focus 3-26 degree and it's very versatile indeed, at 3 degrees it's a laser.

Looks like a nice light, hopefully someone will pay price of admission and write a review.

@OrcaTorch if you send me one, happy to pay shipping, I'll write a review for you.

Cheers.
I feel you on this one, I just reached out to their FB team about waiting until I see more unbiased reviews out there. I told them I understand the cost of inovation, but with the specs of the hardware and runtime it seems a little overpriced even if the beam distance is up to 1300M.

I feel you on this one, I just reached out to their FB team about waiting until I see more unbiased reviews out there. I told them I understand the cost of inovation, but with the specs of the hardware and runtime it seems a little overpriced even if the beam distance is up to 1300M.
It's more than my German made VF light, which has more impressive specs and is over 13 years old. I can't imagine they're selling many with those specs at that price.

This is where it gets a little techy - see here for the difference between ’lumens’ and ’cd’ (tldr: lumen measures area illuminated, ‘cd’ measures spot light output).

Now compare with the specs of the d710

IMG_0007.jpeg

With the d720:

IMG_0006.jpeg

You’ll see the spot light (and beam distance) are a whole different league. But to get that you pay with less illuminated surface - it’s like a theatre spotlight vs a street lamp post. Two different use cases.

Reactions: D_B
tldr: lumen measures area illuminated, ‘cd’ measures spot light output
I'm afraid that's still a bit off. Lumen is the total light output. Lux is the lumens normalized by the spot area (lm/m^2)

The candela is the lumens normalized by the solid angle (measured in steradians), but that's not something to which most people can relate. Instead, give them lumens and an angular beam diameter, and they can make sense of it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom