Orienting GoPro on Headband

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

not really an aiming issue, but editing down a :45 minute long dive into a tight clean 2-5 minute video of the best shots dubbed together is going to be a pain in post processing.

I shoot hand held with a tray and dual lighting, or a pole cam, in 1-2 minute video bursts. Makes for easier editing and file management that's for sure.

I have no desire to try head cam footage. Seems like more of a pain than it's worth IMHO.

If you intend to keep using the head strap you can try doing the end of the bed thing or couch thing and get it set to where you want it then take a triangle file and lightly scribe your camera mount for the position you want. Different marks for different positions. Just a thought. I use the head band under the hood set up myself and intend to keep doing it this way for a while until I get better at buoyancy and diving in general. With the head band set up I don't have to worry about anything. If the video turns out good so be it, if not, there is always another dive to try. Good luck.

If you intend to keep using the head strap you can try doing the end of the bed thing or couch thing and get it set to where you want it then take a triangle file and lightly scribe your camera mount for the position you want. Different marks for different positions. Just a thought. I use the head band under the hood set up myself and intend to keep doing it this way for a while until I get better at buoyancy and diving in general. With the head band set up I don't have to worry about anything. If the video turns out good so be it, if not, there is always another dive to try. Good luck.

Thats the best part of the GoPro and headband, someone not as comfortable in the water that shouldn't be task loading themselves any more then they need to and so hand held cameras arent a great idea for them at that stage. This way you can still get some video footage and though it wont be the same traditional underwater type video works great as a video log of your dive. And if something really cool happens you should have captured it on video, this is also the case when diving and you need your hands free for other things you may be doing. Many discount head-mounts for the few negative points but it still has quite a few things going for it, it also helps to show non divers what diving is really like which a traditional handheld shot doesn't really show that well.

If it were not for my GoPro I would have no photographic / video evidence of my time underwater. I don't love photography - it is something I do to capture memories. As I discovered when my kids were young, though, looking through the lens of a video camera is not the same as actually experiencing the event.

I dive not to take video, but to enjoy the experience. A head mounted camera allows me to capture it relatively unencumbered, without thought or effort. I do not have to remove my self from the moment to focus my attention on operating a piece of kit.

If the video turns out less than perfect, its "loss" cannot take away the experience I was immersed in.

With a hand held camera, if I "lose" the video (really lose, or it just doesn't turn out well) I lose not only the video but also miss out on the experience. Even if the equipment only requires minimal attention, it is still a distraction, one that I don't want.

I added a chin strap to my GoPro and have captured numerous dives with zero effort. I position the mount pretty much in line with my hood opening, which allows it to clear my mask. If no hood, just a hair above the mask. I have not marked it (EDIT: here, I mean the angle, not the initial position), although that's a good idea, but I have learned to position it by feel. I also have a regular buddy (my son) who does a double check before descending.

To make the strap, I thieved some 1" webbing and quick release buckles from an old backpack that was at hand. That release is positioed under my chin, and or course is adjustable.

The other ends of the straps were fitted with snaps I bought dirt cheap at Home Depot along with the tool to set them. These ends are looped around each side of the headstrap and snapped each to itself. So far ~ 60 dives, boat and shore, several in strong current, and never a hint of losing it.

If you wear a snorkle, it can get in the way if you are not careful, but it is easy to position it so it does not flop in front of the camera once you are aware you need to.

Bubbles are only an issue when you are vertical. So don't be vertical when you want to capture something :)

YMMV

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom