Oriskany 8/4/07 via the Y-Knot

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RV

Contributor
Reaction score
from SB2
RV:
did the O on Saturday.. I'm not going to waist my time doing a dive report that will be lost so I'll just say,,,, it was Excellent!!!... the Y-Knot was fast and Excellent!!!
We were done with our fist dive when the other ops began to show up... As we were finishing up our 1 hour surface interval we could see a black smoke cloud as one of the cattle boats approached...

At 110-120' I saw little things (jellies of some sort), they glowed bright blue, I mean BRIGHT blue. When I got near one it turned it's light off and scooted away.. They were lots more below 140'. Anyone know when they were?

Is this what they looked like? If so I think they're called moon jellies. I was in Pensacola a few weeks ago and saw these guys at the O, these pic were taken at a series of wrecks called Three Barges. All the pics that I took, except for one, showed the glow it was pretty amazing. I couldn't figure out if they really looked like that or if it was my strobe that refracted through them. I was too busy trying to avoid them to examine.

MoonJelly5.jpg

MoonJelly7.jpg

Billy

Strobe is making those moon jellies refract light. They may have a bit of bioluminescense, but not that much...

Moons are big, the original post stated they were small jellies. We have several non-stinging, no-tentacle jellies that flash light all over the place, about the size of golfballs. Not sure what they are called.

Do stinging nettles glow during the day? We got tagged by them over and over on a night dive at Pensacola Beach.

RV, did they have long tentacles streaming from them?

Billy

RV:
these things where oblong and about the size of a "SugarSmack" buffed rice cereal I remember as a kid.. They didn't have any tentacles that i could see or feel (i swam right through them). Did I mention they were BRIGHT!!!! blue.. :)

RV:
I'm gonna send Capt. Dave and email when I get home and ask him. He should know..He dives there all the time.,, by the way,, during our surface interval, the Capt' dove to the floor (218') and found his girlfriend's lost fin from a week or two ago..

Stinging Nettles really don't glow much at all, if any, they it wouldn't be visibile during the day.

They were definitely visible at night This is a pretty bad pic and unfortunately I was retracting from it so I didn't get a shot of the tentacles of torture. My lips stung for about 2 days after we got attacked.

StingingNettle.jpg

Billy

Being visible inside the beam of a flashlight and luminescent in total darkness is two very different things.

I know all about the tentacles, I've dived the northern Gulf Coast for my entire short lived diving career(4 years), but have been swimming it my entire short lived, life(25 years). They are seasonal, they are painfull, but we deal.

My personal favorite jelly pics... Stinging nettles first, moon jellies later.

Jelly.jpg

Jelly4.jpg

Jelly5.jpg

Moon076.jpg

Moon101.jpg

Do the moon jellies sting? I was able to keep a safe distance from them.

Billy

Yes, but they aren't as painfull as the stinging nettles, they are also much larger and more obvious, much easier to avoid.

I'd like to know what the **** those bright blue things were

here's one pic.. more to come
IMG_0294.jpg

man.. that's a bigger pic than I thought

Back
Top Bottom