Oriskany and AOW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

<snip>
We're getting water quality reports regularly, and while they don't cover the area of the Oriskany, they have been encouraging, with no significant hazards identified outside of visible oil. Air quality samples have also been good. The EPA and Coast Guard have stated that there's no reason to not put divers in the water outside of visibile oil.

<snip>
Capt. Jim Meyers - Dr. Dive - has been running trips up until last week. He's on vacation now, and won't be running again until early August. When he or other boats return, MBT will be running advanced classes out to the Oriskany again - as long as it's safe!

I found one report about the O and it was "clear", but that was only a few weeks after the oil started coming out. Hoping someone has been out recently and could give a report on the conditions.

I'm going to call MBT and Dr.Dive both in the morning and see if they have any reports.

Thanks for the info. Looks encouraging.

Thanks,

Michael

Dr. Dive went out to the O about a week and half ago...had a great dive. No oil on site. I splashed the O 4 weeks ago...great dive....no oil

Thanks for the info. Hopefully this means in a few months it'll still be good.

Michael

Not flaming Walt, just trying to keep everyone informed.

There are a lot of locals still diving all around the Pensacola area, and none have reported having any problem with oil at or below the surface (there was one reported encounter early on in the crisis). So far, the divers that are getting out have reported some of the best diving conditions we've had in years.

We're getting water quality reports regularly, and while they don't cover the area of the Oriskany, they have been encouraging, with no significant hazards identified outside of visible oil. Air quality samples have also been good. The EPA and Coast Guard have stated that there's no reason to not put divers in the water outside of visibile oil.

I'm not challenging the fact that there is a possible threat out there, and I'm not encouraging anyone to go out and dive if they're not 100% comfortable.

Capt. Jim Meyers - Dr. Dive - has been running trips up until last week. He's on vacation now, and won't be running again until early August. When he or other boats return, MBT will be running advanced classes out to the Oriskany again - as long as it's safe!

It is very encouraging to here such positive feedback after hearing so much negitive. Thanks for posting.

As an FYI, evensplit who posted above is your MBT contact. Jim (Dr. Dive) should be back in a week (I think) and I'm sure he'll resume trips to the "O" at that time.

As an FYI, evensplit who posted above is your MBT contact. Jim (Dr. Dive) should be back in a week (I think) and I'm sure he'll resume trips to the "O" at that time.

Thank you sir. Sent him a PM.

Michael

Dr Dive will be running again the first weekend in August. We have had great luck with the oil so far and have been able to get a number of trips in, avoiding the oil actively on occasion. All the cautions mentioned above are valid, but we have not seen subsurface oil and the surface concentrations have been avoidable.
With the recent capping of the leak, even if just a temporary fix, we are hopfull that we can begin to look forward to an end to the crisis.
The Pine Cone Telegraph (we don't have coconut palms here) says that several of the other operators are back in business. Dr Dive is very glad to see his fellow captains back where they belong, taking care of our loyal and enthusiastic customers. I know we are all looking forward to getting back to some semblance of normality and getting the rest of the summer going. We have had some of the best conditions we've seen in years and are looking forward to having our old friends, and some new ones, here for some great diving.
See you in August. Welcome back, Doug and Dalton.

Capt. Jim
Dr Dive
www.drdive.com

Capt. Jim,

Thanks for the update.

I'm still looking for a trip to the Oriskany and an AOW for my brother-in-law. I believe his son might want to get his Jr AOW.

I guess I'll be making some more call at the first of August.

Thanks all that has replied.

Michael

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom