Oriskany Dive Video and Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh I know there can be great days out there, I've seen them. I have limited dive experience in the Gulf, but I'd say on average the 'blue' factor and clarity of the water in the Gulf is much less than the Atlantic.

Thanks for the report! The color of water is green, but not blue?

It was the camera, not the water. Everything was nice and clear, unfortunitely you wouldn't be able to tell from my camera on the dive. It likes the bright ambient light that was getting filtered by the snot layer above. Still to the eye things were great and I had a blast, I just wish sometimes my camera could capture what I really see sometimes......

It was a much clearer day then the video or pictures show. Some nice, big, expensive lights would solve that problem....but, I prefer to just wait for mother nature to give us some more sunshine at depth.

It was the camera, not the water. Everything was nice and clear, unfortunitely you wouldn't be able to tell from my camera on the dive. It likes the bright ambient light that was getting filtered by the snot layer above. Still to the eye things were great and I had a blast, I just wish sometimes my camera could capture what I really see sometimes......

Thanks for the report. My brother and I have a trip down there planned for next month and I am getting really excited!

I don't think you will be disappointed...I live here, so I have been hearing about the Oriskany since before they sank it. I have seen many pictures and videos of the Oriskany over the last two years. But, when I saw it for the first time it seemed almost surreal. It is so large that you can't help but be in awe of the whole thing. I can't wait to dive it again...and I will, soon.

Thanks for the report. My brother and I have a trip down there planned for next month and I am getting really excited!

I can't wait to dive it again...and I will, soon.

Let me know when you go, if I can swing it I would love to hit the "O" again.

I'll go ahead and third that statement. I was on those dives also, and it was much "bluer" (although still with a green tint to it), clearer, and brighter than the pictures suggest.

The O is such a dynamic dive, being 22NM out; the first time I did it, the water was super blue and you could see the top of the tower from the surface. However, there was a "muck" layer above the flight deck, and you couldn't see it until you were 15 feet above it - it's a creepy feeling as you descend into blackness! Makes you start questioning your trust of the ol' Oriskany DM real quick as you go down to touch the deck!

Fast forward 1 year to this trip. The top 50 feet of water was mucked up, taking away much of the ambient light for our photogs. However, once you got to the tower, one could easily see the flight deck, a dramatically different dive from my previous trip!

I guess that all I'm trying to say is that conditions on the O are always changing, which brings something new to every dive. Visibility can go from 75+ feet to 20 in a heartbeat, you can go down a few feet, hitting a wicked thermocline that drops the temp 15 degrees, or even go around a corner and suddenly feel some current where there was none before. Although I've only had 4 dives on the O, each one was a new experience, and I'm ready to hit it again, as I still feel that I haven't seen anything yet.

AIR vs. Nitrox

not trying to start any flaming if this has been discussed at length, but i'm trying to decide if i want to squeeze in a NITROX certification before my dive next week. I'll be diving with Capn Jim, but will have to get cert'd with someone else perhaps Capn Ron a day or so before.

I'm sure I'll have a great time on standard tanks, but what do you guys feel about this site? Are there huge pro's to diving this one EAN?

I would recommend diving this sit on NITROX. When you say Capt. Jim you mean Capt. Jim Meyers from Dr. Dive right? Dr Dive Pensacola, FL - Home of the USS Oriskany He is a NAUI and PADi instructor if I am not mistaken. I am sure you could get some quick instruction from the staff at dive pros whom he books through at http://florida-divepros.com/ NITROX will increase your bottom times considerably for this site. Just make sure your computer is NITROX compatible. If you are diving tables i'm not sure how much of a help it would be.

awesome pics and great report. I'm still uploading the video on youtube..takes a while sometimes...but i'm looking forward to seeing it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom