Oriskany ("O" Boat) update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Article in the Jax Times-Union today mentioned that the sinking has been delayed while the EPA is reviewing the PCB issue. The story went so far as to say that the sinking may not happen and implied that the EPA may rule the ship a health hazard due to the amount of PCB material still onboard.

Man, I'm really looking forward to diving that ship!

Deja Moo!!!!!!

Does anybody remember LSD-32?

Same thing again except the vessel now is twice as long and eight times as much ... stuff. :11:

KnotKrazy:
that the sinking has been delayed while the EPA is reviewing the PCB issue

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/florida/sfl-fcarrier04aug04,0,646494.story

Plan to sink carrier off Panhandle is delayed

The Associated Press

August 4, 2004

PENSACOLA · Plans to sink the retired aircraft carrier USS Oriskany off the Florida Panhandle as an artificial reef have been delayed by a month and could be scrapped if an environmental permit is denied, a Navy spokeswoman said Tuesday.

The 888-foot ship, which would be the largest vessel purposely sunk as a reef, now is scheduled to be towed here in early September from Corpus Christi, Texas, where fuel, oil, asbestos and other contaminants are being removed, said Pat Dolan, deputy director of congressional and public affairs for the Naval Sea Systems Command.

The Oriskany, a combat veteran of the Korean and Vietnam wars, had been expected to arrive in Pensacola by Aug. 10. No sinking date has been set because once here more time would be needed for final preparations, including cutting holes in interior walls, called bulkheads, and installing explosives, Dolan said.

The Environmental Protection Agency has been asked for a risk-based disposal permit that would let the Navy sink the ship in the Gulf of Mexico about 25 miles southeast of Pensacola Pass without removing all materials containing solid polychlorinated biphenyls, or PCBs.

The material has been linked to cancer and other illnesses. It is found in insulation for electrical cables and bulkheads, paint, caulking and rubber products aboard the Oriskany.

"In order to get them out you have to take the ship totally apart," Dolan said.

That would defeat the purpose of sinking it, she said. The Oriskany is the first in a series of retired warships the Navy wants to sink for artificial reefs as a cost-saving alternative to scrapping them.

Marc

OneBrightGator:
There's also the issue of conditions in NFL, conditions in the gulf are downright cr@ppy, it's cold, generally bad viz and dark, plus the "season" for tourists would be very small, not to mention a lack of tourism and diving infrastructure to support a wreck like this in Pensacola. However in Miami, conditions are generally good year round, not to mention fit nicely between WPB and the Keys and Miami obviously has the ability to support a wreck like this, not to mention the size of it makes it much more conducive to drift diving (I personally don't care for the Grove because it's too big to grasp on a dive).

For me, it's about the same driving distance, but Miami gets my vote.

Ben

Well....I dove in Pensacola for many years year round. Have you??? I was out practically every weekend. Yes, I remember that there was occasionally ice all over the boat, but the conditions were not bad at all. I loved it.
I think everyone is tired of the Russian Freighter (assuming it's still one of the "spots"), and they deserve a new place to house critters (both finned and legged).

Anyone have any updates on the "O" boat? All the hurricane action down that way makes one wonder.

gedunk:
Anyone have any updates on the "O" boat? All the hurricane action down that way makes one wonder.

Down in Texas we haven't had any hurricane action. That's where the Oriskany's being cleaned up for sinking. You can run google searches and see pictures of the process.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom