Oriskany ("O" Boat) update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Murchison

Trusty Shellback
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Just got this note from Scuba Shack in P'cola.
---------
Hi, Gang! It has been a busy summer especially with the Oriskany project needing attention. I went to the FWC meeting in Tallahassee last week. We have got the State of Florida applying for the Oriskany for Pensacola so we beat out South Florida. Now we have to fight the federal level and beat out Texas to ensure that we will get it. The time frame is we hope to know who gets it by October and then February 2004 is the splash down. This time next year we hope to have made lots of dives on it.
----------
I am chompin' at the bit for this one!
Rick

I had read about this on one message baord, I can't remember which one, I'll look aorund today.

The thing is that the different states get to apply for the ship, but must choose one location in the applicaiton. Originally I heard that Florida was looking at the panhandle area, but their is a petition out there somewhere to get in sunk down in south florida.

They have a nice article in this month's issue of Dive Training Magizine.

It's 888 ft. long. It's in Texas right now getting final preparations.

Pensacola, Fla. is #1 on the list to recieve this artificial reef.

Miami is trying hard to get it. They say "We need the extra tourism dollars." I guess they are forgetting that it's for marine life and not the divers.

I'm pretty sure Miami has enough money coming in...Pensacola could use the tourism dollars though.

If they do sink it off of Pensacolo it could be up to 24 miles off the coast.

So it would be a 2 hr. 1 way boat ride out. Probably looking at about a $90.00+ charter ride for the day. Maybe an 8 hr. to 12 hr. day.

I personally hope it goes to Pensacola.

Hi,
Just thought I would put my two cents in on the debate as to where the USS Oriskany should go.
Considering that the Pensecola location is a 2 hour boat ride and, I believe must be placed deeper than the South Florida location, I opt for the Miami option.
I had the opportunity to discuss the subject at the DEMA show with the Miami representatives. They intend to place it within 1-2 miles of the shore and it will run from South to north - parallel to the shoreline. So they are talking about 30 minutes to an hour boat ride, depending from what marina you leave from. Considering the location and the hight of the vessel from keel to top of the island, they plan for the shallowest portion to be at 40' - top of the island. I believe the flight deck would be at 80', but please don't quote me on that one.
As people familar with Florida Southeastern Coast diving already know, it is almost always a drift dive from south to the north. With the USS Oriskany also running from south to north, it would be possible to drift the entire length of the flight deck - neat ride!
The North Florida option is, in my opinion, not as good as the South Florida option. It will have to be sunk deeper due to the commerical restrictions and pretty far off shore. The increased depth would require advanced deep training (not a problem for me, but others may find this limiting). Also, the increased trip time would require a higher charter fee.
No matter where she is sunk, rest assured I will dive her. But I think that more divers would have an opportunity to experience her if she were in Miami instead of Pensecola.

Lee

I think that someone other than the group that sunk the Spiegel Grove should sink this one:D

That is, if you really want the shallowest portion to be at 40 feet...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom