Oriskany Tagging

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

waterpirate:
Sit Back, relax and enjoy your dive. Really. Nature and the "bio-film" will soon grow back into the spaces and erase all.
Eric
So what happens after the wreck is covered in coral? Will it be okay to scratch your name in the coral?:confused:

The point is, why do people feel the need to vandalize wrecks and/or caves? (I started that thread by the way) What purpose does it serve? Sure nature will replace it eventually, just like those marks in the cave will eventually be gone. But after how long? The whole point of reefing the Oriskany in the first place was to attract the marine life for fisherman and divers. This biofilm is part of that process so why in the heck would anyone want to mess with it?

As with the willful defacement of caves, I find this to be unacceptable. Clearly those who engage in this type of behavior need to be educated about the consequences of their actions.

Brian

Carribeandiver:
here's the rule: Admire, stare in awe, gaze in wonderment, but do not touch. Common sense dictates it so. Why do you think you are above everyone else? IF everyone removed something seemingly insignificant, if everyone had to touch this or that, wouldnt the experience be different for those that follow?
Enjoy the beauty, do not deface it, remove it, alter it or damage it.

Aparantly you don't understand my post. I took some stuff off the wreck to sell. Big deal, the whole wreck was reduced to a trash pile in a few short years by hurricanes.. I had zero impact!

That's the mentality that pisses most people off, dumpster. But I have this feeling you're smarter than that, and just trying to provoke responses from other intelligent people. Any idiot older than the kid on your avatar can see the selfishness in your statement.
dumpsterDiver:
I took some stuff off the wreck to sell. Big deal, the whole wreck was reduced to a trash pile in a few short years by hurricanes.. I had zero impact!
Who knows maybe someone won't see through your attempt to be sarcastic and really think you're that myopic and post a reply to start an argument.

Good luck.

dumpsterDiver:
Aparantly you don't understand my post. I took some stuff off the wreck to sell. Big deal, the whole wreck was reduced to a trash pile in a few short years by hurricanes.. I had zero impact!

You had no way of knowing that hurricanes would destroy that wreck. You took those items because you wanted them--plain and simple. Don't expect the rest of us to think that you 'saved' them from the storm surge.

I'm appalled to find this attitude in a SCUBA INSTRUCTOR! :shakehead
You're supposed to be a leader. No wonder the industry is in shambles...

Of course this thread is about vandalism, and now we're talking about 'artifact' recovery, which is an entirely different conversation.

Brian

dumpsterDiver:
I had zero impact!
I've never considered taking something off a wreck to be a zero-impact activity. Zero-impact involves not touching anything.
Do you break pieces of coral off the reef and bring those home with you too? :no

That dang iceberg didn't take any materials off the Titanic, it MUST have had zero impact!

amaze:
If i come upon someone doing that it will be time for an ooa training experience. Bill Huth

Don't you think that is a little extreme considering nature will cover this back up shortly. When I clicked on this post I thought someone was actually "Tagging" as in permanently defacing the ship. I hardly see writing your name in the mud with your finger as something that would provoke an act of violence. Be careful who you pull an ooa drill on, you might get more than you bargained for.

PvilleStang:
That dang iceberg didn't take any materials off the Titanic, it MUST have had zero impact!
Apples and oranges my friend.

I'm sure that Capt. Smith didn't hit that iceberg intentionally.

Brian

Oriskany Divemaster:
That's the mentality that pisses most people off, dumpster. But I have this feeling you're smarter than that, and just trying to provoke responses from other intelligent people. Any idiot older than the kid on your avatar can see the selfishness in your statement. Who knows maybe someone won't see through your attempt to be sarcastic and really think you're that myopic and post a reply to start an argument.

Good luck.

Actually I was serious. They sunk the ship and left one storage room well inside the wreck with shelves and bins. Inside the bins were maybe 100 lbs of various size stainless steel nuts, washers and bolts; all nicely sorted. I took them all. Are there laws against taking stuff from a wreck that was intentionally sunk?

I go nuts with people carving into trees, underwater caves or other natural features that are within the public domain. I have actually "intervened" in a quite physical manner in a number of cases when witnessing these types of vandalism. But I just don't see a rusting ship that was intentionally sunk as being at equivalent; at all....

In that case alot of ships could be scavaged. There are alot of ships that were intentionally sunk by their enemy during war. Also how did you get a 100lbs of nuts,washers, and bolts to the surface? Sure you aren't stretching the weight there?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom