Oriskany Tagging

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Loaded 50 lbs at a time in my buddies mesh gear bag, tied off a 100 lb lift bag and sent it up. repeat as necessary.

Benthic:
Of course this thread is about vandalism, and now we're talking about 'artifact' recovery, which is an entirely different conversation.

Brian

I would think that anything of historical value is removed from ships being prepared for becoming reefs so I don't think we are talking about "artifacts" we are talk about scrap, which is what the ship would have become if it weren't sunk as a reef. You need to seperate a real "shipwreck" from an artifical reef wreck. All the "artifacts" were removed before it was sunk.

GulfDiver77:
In that case alot of ships could be scavaged. There are alot of ships that were intentionally sunk by their enemy during war. Also how did you get a 100lbs of nuts,washers, and bolts to the surface? Sure you aren't stretching the weight there?

Most ships aren't salvaged because their value is less than the cost of salvage.

Benthic:
Apples and oranges my friend.

I'm sure that Capt. Smith didn't hit that iceberg intentionally.

Brian

My whole point to this is that sure, taking one little thing from the boat isn't bad. But lets start taking 100's of lbs of "crap" off the boat. Lets scale this down a bit. How about I take off 10 lbs of nuts and bolts off your car. It takes away from structural stability. Granted, you use your car, and this boat is resting in the ocean, but if you go and remove 100's of lbs of fasteners, then your children, and theirs can't travel down to the wreck site and enjoy its beauty. Now I'll allow people to make the argument that hurricanes will rape these wrecks like Kobe Bryant, but still, there's that much less time the ship will survive because you took it upon yourself to selfishly grab materials from a public dive site to help hold down your diving receipts for torn lift bags and other such gear.

On another note, I found this cool place where they like to bury these wooden boxes approximately 2 yards under the surface of the ground, and they like to put gold and brass hardware on the outsides of these boxes. Maybe we could get a group together to go snatch these. I mean, come on, they aren't using them...

PvilleStang:
My whole point to this is that sure, taking one little thing from the boat isn't bad. But lets start taking 100's of lbs of "crap" off the boat. Lets scale this down a bit. How about I take off 10 lbs of nuts and bolts off your car. It takes away from structural stability. Granted, you use your car, and this boat is resting in the ocean, but if you go and remove 100's of lbs of fasteners, then your children, and theirs can't travel down to the wreck site and enjoy its beauty. Now I'll allow people to make the argument that hurricanes will rape these wrecks like Kobe Bryant, but still, there's that much less time the ship will survive because you took it upon yourself to selfishly grab materials from a public dive site to help hold down your diving receipts for torn lift bags and other such gear.

Dumpster was not stripping the wreck he was salvaging nuts and bolts from a store room. What if you found gold Spanish coins from a wooden shipwreck, you going to take them or not? I think there is a distinction between artifact hunting and vandalizing a site. What if the wreck was wire dragged by the coast guard and you brought up something. Did you really disturb the wreck?

PvilleStang:
Now I'll allow people to make the argument that hurricanes will rape these wrecks like Kobe Bryant, ...
:rofl3:

:popcorn:

captain:
I would think that anything of historical value is removed from ships being prepared for becoming reefs so I don't think we are talking about "artifacts" we are talk about scrap, which is what the ship would have become if it weren't sunk as a reef. You need to seperate a real "shipwreck" from an artifical reef wreck. All the "artifacts" were removed before it was sunk.

I agree...in the case of artificial reefs. I was under the impression (perhaps wrongly) that we were speaking of shipwrecks in general. Hence my comments.

Brian

PvilleStang:

On another note, I found this cool place where they like to bury these wooden boxes approximately 2 yards under the surface of the ground, and they like to put gold and brass hardware on the outsides of these boxes. Maybe we could get a group together to go snatch these. I mean, come on, they aren't using them...

My apologies. I interpreted your original post to mean that you were in favor of alteration/removal, etc. Clearly I missed your point.

Brian

I have heard that many wrecks have bare (no major coral growth) on the decks from people dropping down after their descent and kneeling/standing on the deck. Every time a diver does that they destroy the beginning of coral growth.

Yeah one diver doesn't do a whole lot but thousands may!!! Suck it up and keep your grubby paws off of what is not yours... the same rules apply to wrecks as do reefs!

Also if a goup of younger, novice divers see other peoples names scrawled in the slime they will do it as well. This is why humans suck, we can't leave anything alone; we have to leave our "mark" and we feel that nature must adapt to us.

We should have to adapt to nature.

Hey, my dog (when she was alive) left her marks all over the place, that's natural.

But really, good point monkey. Monkey see, monkey do.

Man I need to stop getting on the board after happy hour...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom