"Oriskany" underway

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sandworm 40

Registered
Reaction score
The Big "O" left Pensacola, FL, this morning under tow enroute to Beaumont, TX, making about 3 knots.

Thanks for the update. What a shame..

Sandworm 40:
The Big "O" left Pensacola, FL, this morning under tow enroute to Beaumont, TX, making about 3 knots.

I thought she was to go down between P'cola and FWB, what on earth are they taking her west for?

Diversauras:
I thought she was to go down between P'cola and FWB, what on earth are they taking her west for?
Apparently they couldn't get the proper hurricane mooring in place before hurricane season (been a real WET season around the southeast lately). They decided to take it back to TX so it would have less risk of getting hit by a hurricane while sitting in port.

Matt

Corigan:
Apparently they couldn't get the proper hurricane mooring in place before hurricane season (been a real WET season around the southeast lately). They decided to take it back to TX so it would have less risk of getting hit by a hurricane while sitting in port.

Matt

Also, this little trip there and back is costing the US Tax Payers about $4 million bucks.

All because the EPA didn't finish the Environmental Assement in a timely manner.

Bah, you got me all excited because I thought they had changed their mind and were moving her back to Florida from Texas. I guess I had no idea it was still sitting in Florida.

On an interesting side note:

Viper, the head of the Top Gun school in the movie Top Gun was stationed on the USS Oriskany. The character, not the actor Tom Skerrit. This marked the first time I heard the word Oriskany pronounced outloud (in the movie) vs. just reading the word on the internet. :D

Kriterian:
Viper, the head of the Top Gun school in the movie Top Gun was stationed on the USS Oriskany. The character, not the actor Tom Skerrit. This marked the first time I heard the word Oriskany pronounced outloud (in the movie) vs. just reading the word on the internet. :D
that's how I knew how to pronounce it: "I flew with your dad on the oriskany" or something like that.

cmalinowski:
that's how I knew how to pronounce it: "I flew with your dad on the oriskany" or something like that.

Yep, that's the one. It's amazing these links you can find when you go back and watch movies from the past. Like diving a wreck that has been covered in sand in certain parts and uncovered in others from the storms of the off-season.

If I remember corrrectly it's also the same ship that Sen. McCain flew off of when he was shot down. I can't remember but I think that was the carrier that caught fire real bad as well.

Also called the "Toasty 'O'" because of a big fire she had on board in '66 during the war in Vietnam that killed 44 of her crew.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom