Oriskany Water temp

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Garrobo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anyone know the lowest :dork2:bottom water temp on the Oriskany during the winter?

Anyone know the lowest :dork2:bottom water temp on the Oriskany during the winter?

I would say the average is in the mid to upper 60's, but can very easily drop in the 50's, especially since there can be a significant thermocline causing the temp to drop 10 degrees give or take. The water can be pretty rough there in the winter.

The carrier rests 24 miles southeast of Pensacola Pass in relatively light currents and high visibility. The wreck sits about 212' deep on a sandy bottom.
The island, or superstructure, starts at a depth of 67 feet and there is plenty to see above 100 feet. The flight deck acts as an "artificial bottom” at 137 feet. However, you can see the deck from the top of the conning tower so you don’t have to go that deep. Marine life is plentiful.

Capt.Morgan: Got any idea what the ops charge for the dives?

Capt.Morgan: Got any idea what the ops charge for the dives?

Price per person for a two tank trip is $150. For a 3 tank trip with an hour surface interval between dives, you're looking at $200.

Cost for a trip is the same as for recreational diving even when used for technical diving if you limit your gear to about the same amount as a sport diver, $150.00 up to $200.00. If you want to bring multiple deco bottle and scooter etc the cost for a tech diver is $200.00 up to $250.00.

Depending on the charter you go with there are some minimum requirements. Such as:

• OW divers having a minimum of 20 logged dives, required to dive with a guide, and 2 logged dives within the last year or refresher course.
  • AOW divers having a minimum of 2 logged dives at or below 80' in the last year without a guide, and 2 logged dives within the last year or refresher course
  • Divers mush have an octo, safety sausage or similar marker device, whistle or other audio signaling device, and gloves
That's if you go with the Dive The Mighty O crew. USCG certified Newton 46' dive boat. 400 Sq. Ft. deck space, with upper level seating, and 16' beam.

Also, do they require buddy teams in all circumstances?

I am not looking at penetration dives, but find that often I get paired with buddies of limited capabilities.

I'm solo qual'd, with Deco/Adv EANx. (and a Course Director).

They check divelogs?

Yes, they will check.

I am not looking at penetration dives, but find that often I get paired with buddies of limited capabilities.

No, not necessarily in all circumstances (I've heard it done) but it is dependent among the Captain or Dive Master. They reserve the right to supersede all requirements, so you will definitely need to talk with them prior to booking anything up to see if that would be possible. I'm sure if they were to consider it they would probably want to see proof of your qualifications and may have you demonstrate some skills as to feel comfortable allowing you to dive solo. I do know if you are not AOW or deep diver specialty you will be required to dive with a guide.

Also note that the rules and pricing are based among what all the professional operators in the area have mutually agreed upon to use for dive trips to the Oriskany.

I dove with Pensacola Dive Co. in July and paired up with Cpt. Ron, the DM...

Due to the qualifications Captn Morgan listed most of the divers going to the Oriskany are more capable than you may find on the typical Cattleboat in the Keys. Those that are not are probably going out with a diveshop, DM, instructor, Dive Club etc and already have a mother hen. That being said most of the rest probably are not Deco/Adv, etc. But odds are you can find a decent buddy for a rec dive. When are you going? You may be able to meet a scubaboard buddy there. I would post on the Deep Dixie Divers Forum and the Florida Conch Divers Forum if I wanted to meet a scubaboard buddy for an Oriskany dive.

I am going down there one weekend in Sept and will most likely be looking for a buddy.

AL

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom