Orlebar Pt/Gabriola

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MarkH

Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone familiar with Orlebar Pt. on Gabriola? I was just wondering how hardcore the current was. Everyone warns about it, but is it really a huge concern? How strong does it get? Do you have to dive right on slack and if so, what tables do you use? Dodd Narrows? Point Atkinson? Also, anyone been to Drumbeg Park on Gabriola Passage? I was thinking of going to Gabriola next weekend and wanted to to at least 2 dives to make the drive/ferry worth it. -Just considering my options. Thanks.

swankenstein:
Anyone familiar with Orlebar Pt. on Gabriola? I was just wondering how hardcore the current was. Everyone warns about it, but is it really a huge concern? How strong does it get? Do you have to dive right on slack and if so, what tables do you use? Dodd Narrows? Point Atkinson? Also, anyone been to Drumbeg Park on Gabriola Passage? I was thinking of going to Gabriola next weekend and wanted to to at least 2 dives to make the drive/ferry worth it. -Just considering my options. Thanks.

Hey Swanky
Use Dodd narrows tide and dive the slack turning to an ebb. Go straight out toward Entrance Island and dive the wall. If there is any current it should take you west along the wall. If you time it right the shallower current goes the other way and will take you back to where you started. Let me know how it all works out for you. I'm taking some tech students out there in 2 weeks.

cheers,
Dave...

wedivebc:
Hey Swanky
Use Dodd narrows tide and dive the slack turning to an ebb. Go straight out toward Entrance Island and dive the wall. If there is any current it should take you west along the wall. If you time it right the shallower current goes the other way and will take you back to where you started. Let me know how it all works out for you. I'm taking some tech students out there in 2 weeks.

cheers,
Dave...
Thanks. I checked the table and slack's at noon on Sunday. Unfortunately, slack at Gabriola Passage is about the same time so I'll have to figure out somewhere else to go for a second dive other than Drumbeg Park. Now I just have to look up the ferry schedule. I'll let you know how it goes.

swankenstein:
Thanks. I checked the table and slack's at noon on Sunday. Unfortunately, slack at Gabriola Passage is about the same time so I'll have to figure out somewhere else to go for a second dive other than Drumbeg Park. Now I just have to look up the ferry schedule. I'll let you know how it goes.

I hear Dodds Narrows is a blast at 7 knots. You might have a bit of a hike after the dive.

cheers,
Dave...

wedivebc:
I hear Dodds Narrows is a blast at 7 knots. You might have a bit of a hike after the dive.

cheers,
Dave...
Sure is, if you like diving in a blender. It would be beautiful dive on a slack, but I definitely wouldn't dive it again if there was much of a current.

diveborg:
Sure is, if you like diving in a blender. It would be beautiful dive on a slack, but I definitely wouldn't dive it again if there was much of a current.

Hi Diveborg. I have to agree with you on this one.

There is a charter in Nanaimo that advertises these current dives at Dodd and I always wondered how safe it would be. It can be low vis and your probably going to loose your buddy or get caught in an up welling or down welling. Dodd also has a lot of big boulders and outcroppings. I wouldn't want to get driven into or under a boulder at 7knts. Sounds a bit like playing with fire to me.

Sorry Swankenstein I haven't dove Orlebar Point but I might recommend you dive it on an ebb tide so you don't end up in a close encounter with the Duke Point ferry. I might be diving in Nanaimo next weekend. Do you know if Carlos Island is a good dive and if it has to be done at slack?

deepdiverbc:
Hi Diveborg. I have to agree with you on this one.

There is a charter in Nanaimo that advertises these current dives at Dodd and I always wondered how safe it would be. It can be low vis and your probably going to loose your buddy or get caught in an up welling or down welling. Dodd also has a lot of big boulders and outcroppings. I wouldn't want to get driven into or under a boulder at 7knts. Sounds a bit like playing with fire to me.

Sorry Swankenstein I haven't dove Orlebar Point but I might recommend you dive it on an ebb tide so you don't end up in a close encounter with the Duke Point ferry. I might be diving in Nanaimo next weekend. Do you know if Carlos Island is a good dive and if it has to be done at slack?

Sorry I should have put a smiley face :) when I made the 7 knot current comment. Ken (http://www.divingbccanada.com/ ) offers drift dives in Dodds during a slight tidal exchange and only to skilled divers. It is really not as dangerous as it sounds since the flow is more like 1-2 knots and the current patterns are quite predictable. Since Swank was planning a shore dive I didn't think a drift was suitable anyway unless he had hiking boots on his drysuit :wink:

wedivebc:
Since Swank was planning a shore dive I didn't think a drift was suitable anyway unless he had hiking boots on his drysuit :wink:
How long of a hike is it anyways? (semi-serious). I talked to a diver that hiked in a couple of times years ago, but I didn't ask how long the trail was. I've been looking at a chart of Gabriola, but it's hard to find an interesting spot that coincides with shore access. Those bloody Chamber of Commerce maps are useless. I think I'll just drive around when I'm there and see where I get. The area just south of Malaspina Galeries looks like a nice dropoff and the North-East corner of the island (West of Carlos Island) looks worth it. It all depends on shore access. Maybe I'll pretend I'm reading the meter and cut through someone's yard.

Swanky (hehe): I think you'll be a little conspicuous as you cut through their yard in a bright yellow drysuit.

Hmm... Maybe there is a market for camoflauge drysuits after all.

SeanQ:
Swanky (hehe): I think you'll be a little conspicuous as you cut through their yard in a bright yellow drysuit.

Hmm... Maybe there is a market for camoflauge drysuits after all.

I have always done it by boat, but I know the guy who owns the place on the point with the farm animal cut-outs in his yard. He dives from shore and probably knows all the neighbours too.
Dive on an ebb and you will end up in that little bay 3/4 of the way in. It's a decent dive and the back eddy will keep you out of the boat trafic lanes. There is a low bank and the cottages are probably empty this time of year. Let me know how it goes Mark.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom