Orlebar Pt/Gabriola

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swankenstein:
I made it back. I dove Orlebar and another spot near the Malaspina Galleries that looked good on a chart. They were definitely worth the trip. Visibility was around 40-50 feet (once you got down a bit). For details and photos, click the following links from my website:ORLEBAR POINT MALASPINA POINT
Very cool pics Mark. Do you recall times and dates of your dives. You commented that there was no current at Malaspina and I would like to have a look at it.
How was the current at Orlebar? No problem with entry/exit?

wedivebc:
Very cool pics Mark. Do you recall times and dates of your dives. You commented that there was no current at Malaspina and I would like to have a look at it.
How was the current at Orlebar? No problem with entry/exit?
I went on Sunday, Mar.6. I went in at Orlebar with the local divers at around 11:30 (slack at Dodd's was 12:00). I didn't feel any current at all until the end of the dive when I was swimming back in the shallows. Even then it wasn't much at all. I could swim against it without a problem. Entry/exit was fine except for the slippery sandstone we had to walk across to get to the water (low tide), but no cracked skulls or anything. The local divers said something about a cable you could follow out to the wall from shore. Ever heard of this? There wasn't the slightest bit of current at Malaspina Pt. when I went in at 2:30. Maximum current at Dodd's was 5.4 knots at 3:27, so I don't think current is an issue here (just a bit of surge in the shallows from the ferry). I'm probably going back to Gabriola next week (I'm off work), but I haven't decided exactly where yet. I'll probably do Malaspina again (and try to go a little farther out on the wall), and for a "current sensitive" dive, maybe Drumbeg Park near Gabriola Passage? I've attatched a piece of chart showing Malaspina Pt. I hope it blows up big enough to see properly.

Great chart. Thanks swankenstein. So many islands to visit. Just one more dive location I need to go check out.

Back
Top Bottom