Oslob Whale Shark - News Articles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

great pic above !

I spent 3 weeks there in Tan Awan and was surprised at how unprofessional some of the dive boats ran their scuba dives.

Here are some pictures in my blog - amateur at best - but I just had to get a few pictures of scuba divers grabbing on to the whalesharks - I saw one diver grab on to a sharks tail and fin 3 times -

Scuba and Snorkeling | Philippines

cheers
dp

great pic above !

I spent 3 weeks there in Tan Awan and was surprised at how unprofessional some of the dive boats ran their scuba dives.

Who are the diver operators you seen with boats ?

The only big banca boats in the area were from Sumilon Bluewater Resort, with all Korean Tourists who never even got into the water.

When were you there ? Because a lot has changed in the last month.

They set up an unofficial sanctuary that now roped off, so the big banca boats with motors cannot enter. So now tourists need to go though the briefing area ( pay the P300 entrance fee ), and if they want to get close take the small banca boats out paddled by the local fisherman to get close.

Its just so sad to see these amazing marine creatures subjugated to domestication by man. Its such a shame their natural behaviour of filter feeding is now sensitized by boat feeding contingencies. Save the sharks? Yes Im all for. But create a sanctuary, police it, provide for tourism - *fine* - charge entrance/ marine park fees - subsidise the fishermen to deter them from illegal finning.

BUT for gods sake lets allow for their natural behaviour for all to see. Just Dont subject them to boat feeding.

I read in the article where the locals let the Whale Shark go after all of the "interactions". The sad part is the real damage could have already been done and too late for the whale shark.

Capture Myopathy is not a fast acting disease, but a slow an agonizing deterioration of the muscle structures cause by the distress that the animal endured at the hands of its captors. I do not believe that there was any type of scientific tracking device attached to the shark, so we will never know if it swam off only to die a few days later.

I can only hope for the best for this young whale shark.

When I think about this individual animal, I cannot help but think about how many members of "Western Society" are appalled by such photos as these. I wonder where is Green Peace when you need them? Yet I have to remind myself, we are applying our own set of personal and cultural beliefs and values upon completely different societies with their own personal and cultural beliefs and values. IMO, Westerners have tried all to many times to impose their ideas for business and what is right and what is wrong without first learning about local cultures, finding common grounds in beliefs and values, then followed up with proper and mutually beneficial education.

I have little doubt that the people I these photos are “evil and bad” at heart, I think they are just unaware of the harm that they are doing to the whale shark.

Thats my 2 cents.

~Michael~

I like the Whale War guys so much better !

Green Peace is too laid back.

Sad to say, I have a feeling that one of the New Articles in the near future will be about the slaughter of these beautiful animals.

Deja Vu to the resent Pakistan incident where one was "found" dead...:shakehead:

Whale Shark 1.jpgWhale Shark 2.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom