OSTC computers feedback?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello everybody
Any feedback on OSTC computers (for max 150m trimix dives OC or CC) ?
Thank you

Hello everybody
Any feedback on OSTC computers (for max 150m trimix dives OC or CC) ?
Thank you

I’ve got the 2c - an older model, but can’t fault it... I’m in the UK and over here the general consensus is that there’s not a lot between shearwater and ostc having used both, I’d agree but imo ostc just have the edge

I have a 2N and a 2. The much older 2N is quite old and has a button problem that cannot be fixed. It still works, but I cannot access menu underwater. The 2 just had a depth sensor fail, I sent to Germany from Sydney, back within two weeks, total cost for postage both ways and repair, under AU$180.

As Nick mentioned, not much difference between OSTC and Shearwater in terms of capabilities and backup service. I love the OSTC despite the problems I have had.

Don't think any OSTC depth sensor is rated for 150M. The factory rates their computers for a max depth of 120M.
If you're planning to do dives to 150M, you should select something else.

Michael

Don't think any OSTC depth sensor is rated for 150M. The factory rates their computers for a max depth of 120M.
If you're planning to do dives to 150M, you should select something else.

Michael

Yeah - depends on the model, some are 120m some 200m

The OSTC Plus is 120M
The OSTC 2/2TR are 120M
The OSTC sport is 100M and 120M with hwOS tech
and the OSTC cR is 120M

The only OSTC rated for 200M is the new OSTC 4 which is currently listing at 1195 Euros incl 19% Sales Tax in Germany.
Haven't had it in my hands yet, although Weikamp was parked next to me at the lake on Sunday. Since I now dive one of my RBs for anything deep, long or cold, I've kind of gotten away from the HW OSTC 2's that I used to love up untill 5 years ago.

Michael

Me and my g/f have OSTCs (3 plus and the old Sport). Between these two devices we have had 5 failures. One failure was actually displaying the wrong depth (showed about 5m at the surface). I have not mistreated them, not dived them to extreme depths etc but these failures still happened. Now we have two Petrels...

I will point out that I do think the UI of OSTC is much better than the Petrel, the Bluetooth is much faster on the OSTC and the ability to change computer settings via BT is amazing. The settings/usability on the Shearwaters is atrocious in my opinion. If heinrichs weikamp computers had a lower failure rate (purely speaking from my experience, just two computers) I would prefer the OSTC over the Shearwater. Also service from heinrichs weikamp is nothing short of amazing. All repairs on our devices were performed free of charge even outside of warranty.

With that said, a computer that breaks so frequently is unacceptable to me, that's why we switched. Pity really, I like the fact that the software is Open Source.

I replaced my petrel computers last year.

I really wanted heinrichs weikamp but was unable to obtain one in the US. I forget exactly what the issue was, but after coming up with nothing at a few of their resellers I emailed them directly. The short of it was that they just didn't want to go through the hassle of selling to US customers.

It's a pity, because I had already downloaded the source and had a couple of changes planned.

I ended up going with a Ratio iX3M. It's an excellent computer, but not open source :(. I hope you have better luck obtaining an OSTC in the US than I did.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom