OT: New dive buddy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

derwoodwithasherwood

Contributor
Reaction score
Disclaimer: Ok, first off, I know this forum is focused on diving solo, but I'm here since I really don't want to get 101 responses flaming solo diving.

Background: Most of my diving is solo. I have a few buddies I sometimes dive with, all of whom I know well (mother, uncle, child, etc.). I enjoy diving with them, but opportunities are rare and I also enjoy the peacefulness of diving alone. I have no previous experience diving with an unknown person. That said, I'm a firefighter, and have considerable experience pairing off with our equivalent of the "insta-buddy" in similarly hazardous environments. There are obvious differences, but many of the skills of a good buddy are universal -- watching out for each other, keeping track of each other in restricted visibility, communications issues, etc.

History: Our lake association was planning an underwater cleanup around a popular swimming area. The call went out for waders, snorkelers and divers to clean up at the various depths. One other diver responded to the call, and we met for the first time at an organizational meeting, where that diver showed me her instructor's c-card.

On the day of the dive, I anchored off one end and hoisted my dive flag. She anchored at the other end and dropped a flag in the water (FWIW, her flag was more orange than red and the stripe was upside down). She geared up and headed for shore as did I. We met in the shallows, and I suggested following the contour at a specific depth, turning, and moving to the new depth, etc. She agreed, and submerged, leaving me standing there doing the mental equivalent of jiggling the hook trying to figure out why the phone just went dead.

Questions: is it not customary to have a bit more of a briefing -- familiarize each other with gear differences, etc? As a FF, we all have the same gear, but I'm sure I remember something in the OW course about the importance of being familiar with a buddy's variances in personal gear. The whole dive was basically at safety stop level or less so air management was really a non-issue, and I would have quite happily and comfortably done it solo, but I never advertised that I dive solo and neither did she. I suppose that, as an experienced instructor, she sized up my gear quickly, but she is somewhat shorter and I couldn't even see most of her until I caught up down below. So how casual are these briefings between new buddies normally? Is there a solo equivalent of "gaydar" -- solo divers just kind of recognize each other as such? If two solo divers are "paired" is there an unspoken agreement that "I'll look after me, and leave you to your own devices"?

FWIW: we did collect a bag full of empty beer bottles, pop cans, etc. And we had a small school of perch join us for 15 or 20 minutes. The visibility in this lake is so much better above the thermocline -- I'll have to spend more time up there in the shallows!

Questions: is it not customary to have a bit more of a briefing -- familiarize each other with gear differences, etc?
Absolutely! I wear an i3 BC and AI computer, and I carry a pony. With another experienced diver, the gear review is pretty quick, but with a new diver I take the time to explain why I have no hoses or console on my left side, and what my pony is for.
So how casual are these briefings between new buddies normally? Is there a solo equivalent of "gaydar" -- solo divers just kind of recognize each other as such?
If two solo divers are "paired" is there an unspoken agreement that "I'll look after me, and leave you to your own devices"?

If you are diving with another solo diver, this should be discussed. How could it not be? If the agreement is to dive solo, I would review dive plans with the other diver. If we are going to be buddies, we discuss out gear configuration and the dive plan..where we are going, when we are going to turn back, lost buddy procedure, etc. I also review hand signals we a new diver buddy to make sure we will understand each other under water. If we are diving together, it does not mean that we are now solo divers if we get separated. I have had dive buddies who did not surface after we became separated. For me, that is the last time I dive with that person. Two weeks ago I went out with a fairly new diver. We were in the local lake where vis can get down to 2'. We discussed lost buddy procedure in depth. About 30 minutes into the second dive we became separated. I did my safety stop and came up. No buddy and I didn't see any bubbles. I started heading out of the water. After about 3 minutes I started up the stairs to notify the authorities of a possible lost diver. I had to climb about 40' of stairs to get up to my cell phone, so this takes a while. I was half way up the stairs when my buddy surfaced several hundred yards away from where we separated stating he didn't realize I was gone. He was utterly clueless that anything was wrong.

I was half way up the stairs when my buddy surfaced several hundred yards away from where we separated stating he didn't realize I was gone. He was utterly clueless that anything was wrong.

Which is why I enjoy solo diving. I usually know where I am. :D

Disclaimer: Ok, first off, I know this forum is focused on diving solo, but I'm here since I really don't want to get 101 responses flaming solo diving.

Why did you post this here.

It appears both of you started this dive solo. You at one end of the lake and she at the other. That kind of would give me the idea that if we ended up together or not it was to be treated as a solo dive so why big concern over the buddy check.

Two weeks ago I went out with a fairly new diver. We were in the local lake where vis can get down to 2'. We discussed lost buddy procedure in depth. About 30 minutes into the second dive we became separated. I did my safety stop and came up. No buddy and I didn't see any bubbles. I started heading out of the water. After about 3 minutes I started up the stairs to notify the authorities of a possible lost diver. I had to climb about 40' of stairs to get up to my cell phone, so this takes a while. I was half way up the stairs when my buddy surfaced several hundred yards away from where we separated stating he didn't realize I was gone. He was utterly clueless that anything was wrong.

Well I will say this much for her: we got separated briefly after we had dropped below the thermocline. I stopped and looked around, but couldn't make her out in the murk. I got out my flashlight and waved it back and forth a couple of times in her direction, and saw an answering light moments later.

(As an aside: one of the snorklers was fooling around above us and later remarked that she could see my yellow fins and wetsuit stripes long after she lost sight of my "buddy" in her all black and navy rig. )

Anyway, thanks for the confirmation. Next time I'm contemplating diving with someone I don't know, I'll arrange to meet on land first so they can't swim away before I'm ready! <lol>

Questions: is it not customary to have a bit more of a briefing -- familiarize each other with gear differences, etc?

According to what I have seen, I would say yes. Things like:

1) Different computers: let's decide beforehand which one to follow
2) Different (non familiar) gear: weight belt vs. pockets, dry suit vs. wet, etc so you know how to help quickly if needed
3) Whether you (or your buddy) has any particular issue you should be aware of, e.g. he or she must descend very slowly, high air consumption ...

If you are going with someone, it is not a solo anymore. You have a buddy.

DareDevil

Why did you post this here.

Basically because over the last few years I have found the average person in this forum is more likely to be experienced, think things through for themselves and give reasoned advice than the average elsewhere. I didn't want the knee-jerk reaction that the S word seems to stimulate in some.

It appears both of you started this dive solo. You at one end of the lake and she at the other. That kind of would give me the idea that if we ended up together or not it was to be treated as a solo dive so why big concern over the buddy check.

Not quite. We were anchored just off-shore, about 300' apart. We both waded in to shore to meet with the others that would be snorkeling in the shallows.

As I said, I've virtually no experience with diving with strangers who meet for the first time on site. The way she showed me her c-card at the initial meeting a few days before led me to expect something a little more formal for all the reasons outlined by others -- differences in gear, quirks of training or habit, at least a cursory nod at air management, buddy separation, etc. -- especially from an instructor who had not even seen my c-card.

That's why I was wondering if it is obvious to other solo divers when they meet with their own. Do things like redundancy or gear placement announce my evil inclinations the way a hog rig might declare DIR? I don't post here much as I haven't the wealth of experience that most of you do, but I do lurk and have taken much to heart. So while there was no slung pony screaming "I don't need you" for this 25' dive, a careful eye might have noted two flashlights, two cutting tools, two second stages on the same side, safety sausage tucked in a pocket, steel 95, "experienced" gear, etc.

Or maybe she's just not that conscientious off the job.

Or maybe she is just fine with diving by herself and figured you were as well. You were definitely not dive buddies so why bother with a gear check and predive brief of any length. I would have figured if you got into trouble, you could get out if it, as I could. No need to know how your stuff works or maybe being a competent instructor she did not need to be shown. One look is generally all I need. If something is really weird I'll ask. Otherwise if I'm diving solo and so are you I may not even care. Did she have a redundant air source? Not really necessary but I like to have one or two with me. And if solo they are my gas reserves. I see no issue here unless you expected to buddy up. She obviously did not.

.... So how casual are these briefings between new buddies normally? Is there a solo equivalent of "gaydar" -- solo divers just kind of recognize each other as such? If two solo divers are "paired" is there an unspoken agreement that "I'll look after me, and leave you to your own devices"?

This is a late reply, but anyway:

1.) Breifings between new buddies can be casual or comprehensive. Depends on the nature of the dive, and the experience of the buddies. Two experienced divers paring-up for the first time can probably tell at a glance how each other's equipment works, and just need to talk (briefly) about the dive plan. Newer divers might need more of "I'll show you mine if you show me yours" kind of thing as far as equipment type and configuration. Do whatever is necessary to make sure both divers are comfortable with the plan and with each other's equipment.

2.) I have no idea about the "solo" equivalent of the "buddy briefing".... when I dive solo, I really am solo... often the only person on the beach, and for sure the only diver. If other divers are around, I smile and wave as I enter or exit, or if I see them underwater. That's it.

3.) If two solo divers are "paired" they are a buddy team! That is, unless they decide otherwise. If there was an agreement to accomplish a common goal (reef cleanup, lake cleanup, etc.) but in widely separated areas, then you were both solo. I'd still take a glance at the other diver's rig as we geared up and ask questions if needed; but I'd consider it a solo dive. Note: It sounds like this was where the misunderstanding occured on your dive.

Best wishes.

Last edited:
This is a late reply, but anyway:

Better late than never... <lol>

My brother is fond of the expression "all learning is knowledge, and therefore good."

I guess the lesson here is that I failed to ensure we were on the same page. I assumed from her initial approach (showing me her c-card) and then meeting at the shore that we were to be a buddy team and I should have clarified that from the start to prevent any misunderstandings. Lesson learned.

Back
Top Bottom