Other Cape Ann questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WaterV

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi everyone,
My husband and I are thinking on going to Cape Ann for some shore diving beginning of January. However, we just noticed that in Rockport, the high tides are before sunrise and after sunset up to the the 5th. We are fresh water divers so we are not familiar with tides but we figured that we basically would not be able to dive up to the 5th when the high tide is at 8h05am so we could get in the water at sunrise (7h15) and get out around high tide. Is this correct? Or can we dive during low tide as well?

Thanks for any info!

Depends on the site. Most on Cape Ann are tide *independent*. The biggest exceptions are Cathedral Rocks and Magnolia Rocks (both best done at high tide). The others just demand a more careful walk to the beach at low(er) tide.

correct. other sites to avoid at low tide are folly cove and atlantic shores. Very slippery bowling ball rocks. what type of diving are you looking to do and I could recommend a site.

Around here you can shore dive any time of the tide if you pick the right site and avoid the river mouths where you may have better luck at slack tide. The tides swing about 10 ' so you normally have a better access at high and more of the "shore dive terrain" has greater depth. In the summer this also means more fish come up against the shore for your viewing pleasure if you can get close enough in the 12-15' viz. Low tide in winter is when the iced over ankle-buster rocks are exposed and the access ledges are very slippery.

The beach entries then are easy entry but there is not much to see in the sand. In the winter all the vegetation dies off and most of the critters go out to deeper water. The ledgy sites are fun to dive if you enjoy underwater topography features and keep a sharp eye out for fish. The viz is much better in January and there is no parking problem.

You may do better to get a dive charter to get out in deeper water where the sea life has moved to. I think Boston Scuba is going to be doing charters in Boston Harbor throughout the winter. Though you have never dove the ocean, you may find these shallow island dives to be simple enough. Maybe Cape Ann charters has some going out also, but I don't know. Do some more searches and ask more questions as the time approaches.

You may find some local buddies to go out with you then, but it would have to be a last minute request. The diving here is more or less dependent on the conditions of that day and I think a lot of people like me don't like making a serious committment beforehand. The ocean weather/conditions is so unpredictable and changes so quickly.

If you are in the Boston area you may also consider diving some of the more Northern sites an hour or so away or head down to Rhode Island where the water is a couple degrees warmer.

The best time to dive in January is the middle of the day [11-1]. I shiver when I think of a 7:30am dive in January. You can always find an accessible site somewhere on the Cape so don't plan it strictly on the tide tables...................Joe

My wife and I really enjoy Old Garden Beach in Rockport. You might want to pick up A Shore Diving Guide to New England by Jerry Shine. Also, the people at Cape Ann Divers are very helpful (and if you decide to do a charter...they're great!)

Lots of great advice. I will advise on places to eat during the winter after a bone chilling dive. In Rockport the Red Skiff has absolutely the best clam bellies. It even beats out Ipswich clams which is the territorial favorite. Forget Woodmans in Essex. Worst clams ever. If you want a great Italian sandwiches I suggest Virgillio's on Main St. Gloucester. Magnifico! Also, if you need to do some carb-loading get the best artisan bread from Alexandra's. They sell out quite early, but do take phone reservations. They're also in Gloucester on Main st. Last place - if you want take-away seafood Intershell (a large distributor) sells the most diverse, and exceptionally fresh seafood anywhere. I would imagine Native Shrimp coming into season shortly and man-o-man are they sweet and inexpensive. In season I boil these delicate little guys up by the bucket load.

Have a great time at Cape Ann.

X

Thanks to all of you for all this useful information. I will definitely try to get a shore diving guide and will look into all of these suggestions...

From the info I got off the internet, we are planning on the following dives (in no specific order):
Plum Cove
Old garden beach
Loblolly Cove
Bass rock

Wheather/tide permitting
Folly cove
Cathedral rocks

Keeping Whites, back and front beach for bad wheather

Anything missing from that list?

A quick question - who is providing your gas? I think the local dive store is closed for the season? Not sure who else in the area is pumping gas.

capeann divers is indeed closed. We'll be going to underseas divers in Beverly, about 30mins drive from where we'll be staying

Back
Top Bottom