Our Dive Club has been threatened with a Lawsuit under RICO

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

well, i have to admit - i have no clue what this rico stuff involves (guess i have to look it up). i own property myself (not in the states) and i am not happy about ppl just walking onto it in general to dive / fish / go swimming etc. i generally dont really care if there are a few ppl, i dont even care if there is a group of divers (how could i - diving myself!) but i def. apprechiate if ppl have the courtesy to contact me and ask, especially if it is a (kind of) repetitive occurance. no prob in general from my side - if i have nothing else planned at this date - if so we find a way. this guy, i have to admit, sounds more like the textbook d*ck! check your legal status and if you are in the clear - just do it to p*ss him off!!!!

Scuba_Dave:
No, you do not have to cross private property to dive there

Well then all we have to do is ignore the crazy bast... and go diving.

I've of similar law suits in Utah against people tubing down rivers. I'd find out if the land owner is in the right. If he his, the charges won't be harsh but annoying, time consuming, and costly (to some anyway).

Is he is claiming that you are on his property while diving, or that people are crossing his land to get to the water?

The Commonwealth does have those unusual laws where private ownership extends out to the low water mark rather than high water mark as in most states. Of course, that wouldn't apply once you get out to any reasonable depth.

His lawyer actually provided maps showing the private vs public area & shows it is perfectly legal to dive there. They are going to be sent to us in our newsletter. I'll post it as soon as I get it
He was there (Dive shop) after I left , they know I would of told the lawyer where to go & how deep - without a tank

As a few have mentioned, bringing your own police officers to a trespassing confrontation is often most effective, and if it has been clearly defined as trespassing... dont do it in the first place, get a boat, come in that way and dive there all day as Swampy says.

I think he was a little upset about this on our Dive Schedule this year::angel:

April 1st
Multi-Club Dive – 7 clubs!!
Magnolia Rocks
High Tide 1:22p

Scuba_Dave:
I think he was a little upset about this on our Dive Schedule this year::angel:

April 1st
Multi-Club Dive – 7 clubs!!
Magnolia Rocks
High Tide 1:22p

Ya Think?

Could be...:wink:

Plus it seems when I did the calendar for this year somehow the dive site for every weekend is Magnolia Rocks

Back
Top Bottom