Our first trip to Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sffrenchman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My partner and I just came back from our first trip to Cozumel. We flew Delta from San Francisco to Atlanta (red-eye) and after a 6-hour layover to Cozumel. Everything was on time and uneventful. This was our first time flying Delta and thought that it was overall a good experience.

We took the van from the airport to the hotel but if you want to save a few bucks, you can catch a cab just outside of the airport.

We stayed and dived with Blue Angel. The hotel was very nice, room was comfortable and the food was very good. Most of all, the staff was very friendly and always eager to please.

Cozumel in September was quiet, the weather was OK as it rained at night most of the time with some short showers during the day.

Jorge was our DM for the whole trip and we thought he was great. We got to dive our own profile and there were no limits on depth and time. The fills were always above 3000psi for air but the nitrox fills were sometimes a just a little short (~2800), but nothing to complain about.

The diving was very good, and we got used to the current rather quickly (these were our first drift dives). On one dive at Palancar Gardens, the current was quite strong and now we know what people mean by flying underwater. The marine life was nice with lots of juveniles. Also saw quite a few nurse sharks, barracudas, turtles, tarpons, toad fish, fighting lobsters, and the largest green moray I have ever seen. We did a few night dives from the Blue Angel resort and these were great: octopuses, lobsters, squid, eels, rays (not the ones in the pen)...

Photography was quite challenging with the current but I managed to snatch a nice turtle shot (attached)

Overall, this was a great first trip to Cozumel. We enjoyed the island very much, Blue Angel, and the people.

We will be back.

:D

Attachments

• IMG_1214.jpg
    IMG_1214.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 74
HI! Nice pic, isnt it fun to watch to Angels eat the bits that break off when the turtle takes a bite. I love the fast drifts. But it is also fun to find a spot to hover and watch. Thanks for the report!

Thanks for the report. I'm going there for the first time in January. It's fun to read a preview of what I'll be like.

My wife and I are heading to the BA in January. Any advice?

My wife and I are heading to the BA in January. Any advice?

Not really. If you want to do extra dives such as boat night dives or afternoon dives, let the shop know in advance as they have a minimum of divers needed. For diving, I would recommend that you carry an SMB and a whistle or Dive Alert. On one dive, the group became separated and divers ended-up surfacing in different places, and we were quite far away from the boat. Having the SMB and Dive Alert was useful to attract the attention of the boat.

Otherwise, just have fun.:)

Jorge does a great job, actually all the guys at Blue Angel do. Jorge has a habbit of going off the beaten path a little, which is very refreshing. Jose can go off the path also, but his forte is finding critters. Matt (my Chicago home boy), is just a great diver, the man loves to dive and it shows. He makes a great insturctor because he is so at ease in the water, that comfortablilty, if you will, rubs off on you.

The new improvments to the hotel have all been right on the mark as well. While still keeping the easy, layed back, small hotel feel of the place the new owner's have improved service and amenities.

New water heating system, new A/C's, re-worked lobby/reception area, filled in the "valley" between the pool and hotel for easier pool access (not that it was that hard to get to to begin with), enlarged the restaurant & finished rebuilding the pier, were the items I can remember as of April. I think the WI-FI connection has been improved as well, some folks have reported being able to pick it up in the rooms closest to the lobby.

Richard was in the process of buying new motors for the boats back in late April, so faster, smoother rides, (with less exhaust fumes :D ) should be the norm by now.

The addition of evening meals is starting to take off, from reports here. Eva has added some yummy new items to the menu for both lunch and dinner. Try her "everything but the kitchen sink salad" for lunch one day... I know what you're thinking, "SALAD! ON VACATION!!"...trust me, this is a serious meal, quite tasty and very refreshing.

Remember, those of you not staying at Blue Angel are always welcome for a meal anytime of day.

(I know, sounding like the Cozumel Chamber of Commerce guy again...)

Thanks sharky60. I am going Oct.24-Nov.3 to BA. First time as well.
Love to hear these reports. BA also have a new website.
I hope they still take AE travelers checks.
Bobby T; do a search on the BA and you'll come up with a lot of info. I will give a full report when I return as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom