Our Next "Norte" - and it's a strong one!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can't believe the harbor master closed the port today. It is like "glass" out there compared to some other days where he kept it open a few weeks ago.

Hopefully they will open it up later on today..

EDIT: Nevermind :) Port appears to be re-opened. Going out at 8:45AM. Not sure the fulll details if limited to only large boats or every boat.

EDIT: Nevermind :) Port appears to be re-opened. Going out at 8:45AM. Not sure the fulll details if limited to only large boats or every boat.

Glad to hear you are still able to go out!

Looks like a strong norte coming through Monday and Tuesday! Windguru is showing NW, N and NE winds upwards of 35 - 40mph! I am willing to bet no one will be participating in aquatic activities these two days. I am sure Dave is preparing for the East side, but I am not sure if these conditions are even favorable for those dives - Dave will have to answer that one :)

Argh, flying in tonight, not looking great for my first trip to cozumel :(

Hope no one misses any diving...

That said, I'd kill for a Cozumel norte right now. We have the same wind-strength with predictions of Monday getting windchills down to -50 F. Ugh. And work has decided cold is not a reason to get to work from home, despite having to walk 3/4 of a mile in from the parking lot.
Do the bosses have their reserved parking spots right up close? RHIP. :D

Port was closed this morning until 9 am but then we got 4 boats out. Got rougher as the day wore on but we will still be doing an afternoon dive in our big boat. Right now it is 22 km/hr from the NE at the airport. Sunday looks better than today.

Monday is shaping up as a perfect day for the East Side diving and we will prepare for that by pre positioning Aldora V over there with our two smaller boats. Tuesday may be bad everywhere and the perfect day for a denote dive.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

If I had a dime for every day these online weather forecasts said it was gonna be bad and woke up to see great weather I'd be rich. Weather changes on a dime in the tropics so I say unless a hurricane is coming or a tropical depression parks itself over you (I've experienced both) just wake up early, take a look outside, and make your decision then. The mess forecasted the night before can end up being a great day.

Dear deepsea21

That has not been my experience at all. The hourly forecasts from windguru.com and WeatherUnderground.com are amazingly accurate, at least here in Cozumel. We compare them about everyday to observations and on line wind readings at the Cozumel airport. Especially with wind guru which has a star system to rate the value of their predictions. For this coming monday their predictions carry 3 stars and when we see that we have a lot of confidence thus we are prepositioning assets for an eastside dive. However, we will review things everyday in case of changes.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Dear deepsea21

That has not been my experience at all. The hourly forecasts from windguru.com and WeatherUnderground.com are amazingly accurate, at least here in Cozumel. We compare them about everyday to observations and on line wind readings at the Cozumel airport. Especially with wind guru which has a star system to rate the value of their predictions. For this coming monday their predictions carry 3 stars and when we see that we have a lot of confidence thus we are prepositioning assets for an eastside dive. However, we will review things everyday in case of changes.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Sadly, last time the port opened.

And we don't make the decision - the Harbor Master does.

If I had a dime for every day these online weather forecasts said it was gonna be bad and woke up to see great weather I'd be rich. Weather changes on a dime in the tropics so I say unless a hurricane is coming or a tropical depression parks itself over you (I've experienced both) just wake up early, take a look outside, and make your decision then. The mess forecasted the night before can end up being a great day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom